National Employment Standards
The National Employment Standards (NES) form part of the Fair Work Act 2009.
The NES are ten minimum legal standards apply to employees in the private sector, which cannot be reduced by awards or enterprise agreements. The standards may be supplemented or changed; however, the conditions cannot be less favourable to an employee when compared to the NES.
The ten standards are:
- Maximum weekly hours (38 hours, plus reasonable overtime)
- Right for parents to request flexible work arrangements
- Parental leave – 12 months unpaid for each parent (modified)
- Annual leave
- Personal/carer’s and compassionate leave (paid and unpaid)
- Community service leave (unpaid), including jury service (paid)
- Long service leave
- Public holidays
- Notice of termination and redundancy pay
- Provision of a Fair Work Information Statement for all new employees.
Fair Work Information Statement
Employers are required to give each new employee a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement. The statement must be provided prior to, or as soon as possible after, commencement of employment.
Download the Fair Work Information Statement.
Need more information?