17 July 2020
BRISBANE’S building community proved it has the skills and staying power to weather any storm at this year’s Master Builders Brisbane Housing & Construction Awards.
The Awards ceremony was livestreamed to a captive at-home audience on Friday, 17 July, with more than 50 builders, projects and individuals recognised.
Luxury home builders, Romark Design Constructions took out the coveted House of the Year award for their “La Maison du Bonheur" (The House of Happiness) project in Belmont. This beautiful artisan home was inspired by fond European memories and was also awarded best Individual Home over $2 million.
Project of the Year winner Hutchinson Builders wowed the judges with their addition to the capital’s city skyline, Brisbane Skytower, for which they also received the award for best Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million. Their Fantauzzo Art Series Hotel project was another winner, taking home the Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million category.
Master Builders’ CEO, Grant Galvin, congratulated all the winners across the 56 categories.
“In the current climate of uncertainty, it’s never been more important to recognise and celebrate excellence, create some positivity and champion our industry,” Mr Galvin said.
“Despite this year’s Housing & Construction Awards program looking a little different, we were blown away with the range and quantity of entries we received.
“The quality, attention to detail in finishes and overall craftmanship was exemplary, and we saw innovations we haven’t seen before or were even expecting.
“It’s a true testament to the quality and range of building that happens in and around Brisbane.
“Winning an award this year, despite the stresses that COVID-19 has placed on our industry, shows that our builders are resilient and can continue to shine, even when times are tough.”
Skytower soars to new heights
Winner of the 2020 Brisbane Project of the Year – Brisbane Skytower by Hutchinson Builders
Brisbane Skytower is an iconic $1 billion development located at 222 Margaret Street in the heart of Brisbane’s CBD. Boasting 1,138 residential apartments in an awe-inspiring 90-storey tower that soars above Brisbane’s streetscape, Skytower has the highest roof in Queensland and is also the largest residential building in Australia.
Skytower’s elegant triangular design with its curved corners, curtain wall façade and central core, is truly unique and is a striking addition to the city skyline.
Brisbane Skytower has quickly become a symbol of the city's growing international reputation as a contemporary new-world metropolis, offering residents world-class amenities in a bustling city destination.
“We were impressed with the amount of overall planning that went into the Skytower project by Hutchinson Builders and their team. They took this difficult project successfully through the construction phase and then obtained the quality of workmanship and co-ordination of the high quality of finishes required to achieve the status of the magnificent Brisbane landmark it is today.”
“The innovation shown by Hutchies in the design and construction phases was most impressive. Designing the project into separate sections to speed up construction, which allowed a staged handover, enhanced early financial stability to ensure Skytower could be completed on time.”
“Just completing a building of this magnitude is a credit to the experienced construction team and subcontractors.”
“Skytower is an imposing presence on its environment but is beautiful in design and has a real wow factor with its slender yet robust profile.”
House of Happiness proves fruitful
Winner of the 2020 Brisbane House of the Year – "La Maison du Bonheur" (The House of Happiness) by Romark Design Constructions Pty Ltd
Drawing inspiration from Europe, England and Cyprus, everything that sits in this “House of Happiness” has been meticulously thought out and instigated.
From the stone imported from Turkey, to the dry stone wall hand cut by men in Greece and the French Oak parquetry timber boards from France and Belgium, this home brings it all together seamlessly.
The intention was to weave this family history together with a love of travel and thirst for knowledge. Family heirlooms take pride and place within the house standing testament to its history, and the history which will be forged looking to the future. The owners’ children now have a legacy to continue and this will echo for eternity.
“Wow is somewhat an understatement here! Romark have delivered an exceptional level of detail on this project of the highest standard and have raised the benchmark. Every aspect has been delivered, every detail considered and constructed with the highest degree of craftsmanship. From the skillful management of the whole project from design through to completion, Romark have led the way and delivered a spectacular result for their clients. What a ‘landmark project’ and an amazing achievement for all.”
“This magnificent project has brought all facets of the construction process together, showing extremely high levels of quality, design and workmanship to express itself in the form of a home. The supervision required to achieve this quality on this scale of project has culminated in an exquisite residence for the extremely happy and proud owners. Stunning from start to finish.”
Contemporary, yet rustic home proves popular
Winner of the 2020 Brisbane President’s Award – Kenzie 26 by Brighton Homes
Contemporary meets country in this beautiful home by Brighton Homes.
Perfect for those wanting to start a family or for downsizers, it’s ideally suited to those who love to entertain.
Dark charcoal timbers have been teamed with warm, rustic tones, with the raked ceiling and stunning concrete kitchen giving a sense of luxury.
This super stylish, single storey home offers a lot for the very affordable price tag and is something the everyday Australian can aspire to.
“Brighton Homes have again delivered an exceptional result. Value for money with high standards of finish at affordable levels. Aspects of the home exude personality, design prowess and individuality, creating a masterpiece of family living, catering for all that reside herein. Jam packed with features at every turn, this design and project is a credit to the whole team and a win for the new house builders. They really have ‘let life in’ on this project.”
“The raked ceiling in the entertainment area creates height and extra lighting with four large skylights making the most of this central part of the home. With this space connecting to the outdoor living, it’s the perfect area for everyone to gather.”
“A contemporary yet rustic home inspired by the charm of old Australia.”
“A great package for this level of buyer. Extras included not usually shown in this price bracket. Great value for money and a design to meet the demands of the public.”
“Very well-appointed home.”
All Brisbane winners
- Health Facilities up to $20 million – Apollo Property Group Pty Ltd for Bowen Hills Medical Specialist Centre (Bowen Hills)
- Health Facilities over $20 million – ADCO Constructions Pty Ltd for Jacaranda Place, Adolescent Extended Treatment Centre (Chermside)
- Education Facilities up to $10 million – Schiavello Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd for QUT New Health Undergraduate PC2 Teaching Lab (Kelvin Grove)
- Education Facilities over $10 million – Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd for University of Sunshine Coast Moreton Bay Foundation Building (Petrie)
- Sporting Facilities – Axiom Construction Group for Unisex Umpires facilities (Stafford)
- Community Service Facilities – TFA Constructions Pty Ltd for Eagleby Kids ELC (Eagleby)
- Retail Facilities up to $5 million – Apollo Property Group Pty Ltd for BrewDog (Murarrie)
- Retail Facilities over $5 million – Mainbrace Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd for Queens Plaza Luxury Remix (Brisbane City)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million – iQ Construct Pty Ltd for Ovolo 'The Valley' - Za Za Ta & Function Facilities (Fortitude Valley)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for The Fantauzzo - Art Series Hotel (Brisbane City)
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – Kane Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd for QUT P Block Lift Duplication & Link Bridge (Kelvin Grove)
- Commercial Building $5 million – $50 million – Broad Construction Pty Ltd for 12 Creek St - The Annex (Brisbane City)
- Commercial Building over $50 million – Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd for 300 George Street (Brisbane City)
- Industrial Building up to $5 million – Dibble Pty Ltd for Flinders Project (North Lakes)
- Industrial Building over $5 million – McNab NQ Pty Ltd for Lion Dairy & Drinks for TradeCoast Central (Eagle Farm)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) up to $20 million – 5Point Projects Pty Ltd for One Bulimba Riverfront (Bulimba)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Brisbane Skytower (Brisbane City)
- Community Accommodation for Aged Care and Nursing Homes – TF Woollam & Son Pty Ltd T/A Woollam Constructions for Alondra Residences (Nundah)
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $750,000 – Cuebuild Pty Ltd for Smart Clinics, Deception Bay (Deception Bay)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 – FDC Construction & Fitout (QLD) Pty Ltd for Westpac Brisbane (Brisbane City)
- Excellence in Workplace Health & Safety – Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd for 300 George Street (Brisbane City)
- Heritage Revival – Taranaway Building & Landscapes Pty Ltd for Spicers Retreats Hidden Vale Homestead Rebuild (Grandchester)
- Public Recreational Facility – Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd for Queen's Wharf Foreshore Early Works Stage 1 (Brisbane City)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 – Marie G Pty Ltd for Bay Window Bliss (Graceville)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $276,000 – $575,000 – King Builders Pty Ltd for Sky High Apartment (New Farm)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $576,000 – $1 million – Ausbuild Pty Ltd for Riverbend (Bulimba)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $1 million – MCD Construction (QLD) Pty Ltd for Moray Manor (New Farm)
- Display Home up to $250,000 – Keibuild Homes for Ellis 219 Heritage (Ripley)
- Display Home $251,000 – $350,000 – McDonald Jones Homes T/A Brighton Homes for Kenzie 26 (Rochedale)
- Display Home $351,000 – $450,000 – McDonald Jones Homes T/A Brighton Homes for Grayson 30 (Rochedale)
- Display Home $451,000 – $550,000 – McDonald Jones Homes T/A Brighton Homes for Aria 37 (Rochedale)
- Display Home over $551,000 – Privium Homes for Jackson 35 Display Home (Rochedale)
- Individual Home $251,000 – $350,000 – Mitcon Build Pty Ltd for Project Abbeydale (Greenbank)
- Individual Home $351,000 – $450,000 – D3K Constructions Pty Ltd T/A Stroud Homes Brisbane East for Hamptons Haven (Ormiston)
- Individual Home $451,000 – $550,000 – Ambrose Homes Pty Ltd for Armstrong (Cannon Hill)
- Individual Home $551,000 – $650,000 – McLachlan Special Projects Pty Ltd T/A McLachlan Homes for The Drury Residence (Newport)
- Individual Home $651,000 – $750,000 – Mick Gilbert Constructions Pty Ltd T/A Mick Gilbert Homes for Quay Circuit (Newport)
- Individual Home $751,000 - $950,000 – McLachlan Special Projects Pty Ltd T/A McLachlan Homes for The Hicks & McInerney Project (Warner)
- Individual Home $951,000 – $1.25 million – Tabrizi Home Builders Pty Ltd for River Park (Fig Tree Pocket)
- Individual Home $1.26 million – $2 million – Graya Construction Pty Ltd for Laurent (Paddington)
- Individual Home over $2 million – Romark Design Constructions Pty. Ltd. For "La Maison du Bonheur" (The House of Happiness) (Belmont)
- Best Use of Steel Frame Housing – Coral Homes Pty Ltd for Milan 25MKII (Yarrabilba)
- Best Use of Sloping Sites – Thallon Mole Group Pty Ltd for Watson (New Market)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – 2 to 5 Dwellings – DTM Projects QLD Pty Ltd T/A MOG Builders for Gravity on Newton (Coorparoo)
- Medium Density up to 3 storeys – over 5 Dwellings – Azure Build Pty Ltd for The Emerson Edition (Cannon Hill)
- Best Residential Bathroom – Thallon Mole Group Pty Ltd for The Duke (Toowong)
- Best Residential Kitchen – KJ Constructions (Qld) Pty Ltd for Long Pocket House (Indooroopilly)
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Zephyr Industries Pty Ltd for Blanco (Hamilton)
- Apprentice of the Year – Alex Ennion from D Pearce Constructions
- Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year – Peter Johnston Tiling Pty Ltd for Chester & Ella (Newstead)
- Rising Star – Sebastian Toscano from Toscano Constructions
- Women in Building –Marica Gjorgioski
- President's Award – McDonald Jones Homes T/A Brighton Homes for Kenzie 26 (Rochedale)
- Project of the Year – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Brisbane Skytower (Brisbane City)
- House of the Year – Romark Design Constructions Pty Ltd for "La Maison du Bonheur" (The House of Happiness) (Belmont)