12 October 2018
A WORLD-CLASS, one-of-a-kind tourist attraction in the state’s north, and a European-inspired mansion in the south have taken top honours at this year’s Queensland Housing & Construction Awards.
FK Gardner & Sons and D T L Constructions were recognised for their contributions to building Queensland communities, taking home Project of the Year and House of the Year, respectively. The winners were honoured at the October 12 ceremony held at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre.
The work FK Gardner & Sons did on Australia’s first new aquarium in 18 years, Cairns Aquarium, was recognised as Project of the Year and for the Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million award category. The multi-million-dollar infrastructure project has provided a major boost to local tourism in Cairns and showcases plants, animals and habitats only found in Australia’s Wet Tropics.
Gold Coast-based company, D T L Constructions were the other big winners on the night, with their Sanctuary Cove home, Villa Florentine, being awarded House of the Year, as well as Individual Home over $2 million and Best Residential Bathroom. The home was a labour of love for D T L Constructions owners, Darren and Llloyd Teasdale, who pride themselves on their unwavering passion for the craft.
The team from Swish Homes Queensland, Toowoomba came away with big smiles too, as their home, Sander House was named President’s Award and best Individual Home $251,000 – $350,000. It’s a category aspired to by many, but achieved by few. The task of providing a functional and stylish home, that the everyday Queenslander can afford, is not an easy one, but Jonny Wells and team Swish continue to do with grace.
Master Builders’ CEO, Grant Galvin, applauded all the winners across the 61 categories.
“This year’s Awards theme was ‘Celebrating building communities, celebrating you’. The homes, projects and people who entered certainly delivered the goods,” Mr Galvin said.
“From health facilities, schools, shopping centres and libraries, to waterfront mansions, contemporary designs and affordable luxury, this year’s winners have helped shape and grow Queensland towns and communities. They are a true celebration of what our diverse industry is capable of.
“Once again the judges had a very tough job on their hands. The high calibre of entries shows our members are continuing to push through boundaries, innovate, overcome obstacles and produce quality projects are amongst Queensland’s best.
“It’s humbling that after more than 30 years, the Housing & Construction Awards continue to be the pinnacle achievement sought-after by the state’s top builders and tradespeople.”
Cairns Aquarium nets top award
Winner of the 2018 Queensland Project of the Year – FK Gardner & Sons
The Cairns Aquarium project is an incredible icon for Far North Queensland. This project presented a high level of complexity, including an extremely large building footprint, and the co-ordination of on schedule manufacture of key components. The facility boasts three levels, with a 7,800 square metre aquarium, housing 15,000 aquatic animals, fish, plants, and other organisms.
Sanctuary abode welcomes big win
Winner of the 2018 Queensland House of the Year – D T L Constructions Pty Ltd
Columns, marble, stone, arched windows and entries are just a few of the breathtaking features of this grand home at Sanctuary Cove. Darren and Lloyd Teasdale of D T L Constructions have brought to life a master architectural design from architect Stuart Osman.
The epitome of European style and artful elegance, this compelling 1,540 sq m masterpiece spans three elevated blocks. The finished product attests that nothing was spared or compromised on finish to create a polished and liveable home.
Functional and affordable living
Winner of the 2018 Queensland President’s Award – Swish Design & Construct Pty Ltd (Swish Homes Queensland)
Swish Homes Queensland’s commitment to delivering a quality, affordable home that offers both value for money and street appeal is evident in ‘Sander’. The home incorporates a combination of render and Innowood parapet walls with a natural stained New Guinea rosewood VJ timber front door. Features of the homes include a designer kitchen that overlooks the L-shaped living/dining area. It opens up with a 90 degree corner stacker door onto the North East facing outdoor area. The property ticks all the boxes of a functional and aesthetically pleasing home.
All Queensland winners
- Health Facilities up to $20 million – Paynter Dixon Queensland Pty Ltd for Townsville Hospital Clinical Services Department (Douglas, Townsville)
- Health Facilities over $20 million – Cockram (Qld) Pty Ltd for Brisbane Private Hospital In-Patient Unit Facility (Spring Hill, Brisbane)
- Education Facilities up to $10 million – Badge Constructions (Qld) Pty Ltd for Somerville House, Seymour Library (South Brisbane)
- Education Facilities over $10 million – ADCO Constructions Pty Limited T/A ADCO for Southern Cross University, Building C (Bilinga, Gold Coast)
- Sporting Facilities – Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd for Carrara Sports Precinct Projects (Carrara, Gold Coast)
- Community Service Facilities – Murchie Constructions Pty Ltd for Bundaberg Multiplex, Stage 2 (Bundaberg)
- Retail Facilities up to $5 million – Leith Mitchell T/A Leith Mitchell Builder for Northerlies at Freedom Shores (Woodwark, Airlie Beach)
- Retail Facilities over $5 million – ADCO Constructions Pty Limited T/A ADCO for Willows Shopping Centre, Stage North Expansion (Thuringowa Central, Townsville)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million – Ruby Developments Pty Ltd for Living Gems Pacific Paradise - Country Club (Pacific Paradise, Sunshine Coast)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million – FK Gardner & Sons for Cairns Aquarium (Cairns)
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Peregian Beach Digital Hub (Peregian Beach, Sunshine Coast)
- Commercial Building $5 million – $50 million – FDC Construction & Fitout (QLD) Pty Limited for NEXTDC B2 (Fortitude Valley, Brisbane)
- Commercial Building over $50 million – Laing O'Rourke Australia Construction Pty Ltd for International Terminal Building Northern Concourse Expansion (Brisbane Airport, Brisbane)
- Industrial Building up to $5 million – Clarke's Project Management Pty Ltd T/A Clarke's Design & Construct for Tekno Auto Racing - DUX76 (Yatala, Gold Coast)
- Industrial Building over $5 million – FDC Construction & Fitout (QLD) Pty Limited for Asahi Beverages Heathwood Logistics Facility (Heathwood, Brisbane)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) up to $20 million – Stokes Wheeler Pty Ltd for Main Beach Apartments (Main Beach, Gold Coast)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million – Cavcorp Qld Pty Ltd for Lucent Gasworks (Newstead, Brisbane)
- Community Accommodation for Aged Care and Nursing Homes – Cockram (Qld) Pty Ltd for Regis Chelmer Aged Care Facility (Chelmer, Brisbane)
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $750,000 – Askonstructions Pty Ltd T/A Hotondo Homes Toowoomba for Hotondo Homes Toowoomba - Office & Showroom (North Toowoomba)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 – Lendlease Building Pty Ltd for NAB Place (Brisbane)
- Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Environmental Management – Jorgensens Pty Ltd for Loving Hearts Child Care Centre and Kindergarten (Currumbin Valley, Gold Coast)
- Excellence in Workplace Health and Safety – Laing O'Rourke Australia Construction Pty Ltd for Toolbox Spotter (Brisbane)
- Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year – Arden Architectural Pty Ltd for Aurizon (Fortitude Valley, Brisbane)
- Display Home up to $250,000 – Bold Properties (Qld) Pty Ltd T/A Bold Living for Calypso 187 (Bells Creek, Sunshine Coast)
- Display Home $251,000 – $350,000 – Cummins Constructions Pty Ltd T/A GJ Gardner Homes - Gold Coast North for Gold Coast Beachmere Display (Helensvale, Gold Coast)
- Display Home $351,000 – $450,000 – Ownit Homes Pty Ltd for Hamilton 317 (Upper Kedron, Brisbane)
- Display Home $451,000 – $550,000 – McLachlan Special Projects Pty Ltd for The Mantra (Newport, Moreton Bay region)
- Display Home over $551,000 – Critter Pty Ltd T/A PS Designer Homes for Brookwater Home (Brookwater, Ipswich)
- Individual Home up to $250,000 – Comfort Homes (QLD) Pty Ltd for Poinciana 196 (Innes Park, Bundaberg)
- Individual Home $251,000 – $350,000 – Swish Design & Construct Pty Ltd T/A Swish Homes Queensland for Sander House (Kleinton, Toowoomba)
- Individual Home $351,000 – $450,000 – Blinco Constructions Pty Ltd for Kingfisher (Palmview, Sunshine Coast)
- Individual Home $451,000 – $550,000 – Executive Living Homes Pty Ltd for Botanical Abode (Ooralea, Mackay)
- Individual Home $551,000 – $650,000 – REA Taylah’d Homes Pty Ltd for REA Anchorage Home (Cleveland, Redland City)
- Individual Home $651,000 – $750,000 – Matt Greenwood Constructions Pty Ltd for Riverstone (Gordonvale, Cairns)
- Individual Home $751,000 – $950,000 – D T L Constructions Pty Ltd for Augusta on Brookwater (Brookwater, Ipswich)
- Individual Home $951,000 – $1.25 million – Clamroc Constructions Pty Ltd for Sirena (Mermaid Waters, Gold Coast)
- Individual Home $1.26 million – $2 million – Mancorp Quality Homes Pty Ltd for Bribie Contemporary (Banksia Beach, Moreton Bay region)
- Individual Home over $2 million – D T L Constructions Pty Ltd for Villa Florentine (Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast)
- Best Use of Sloping Sites – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd for Turtle Bay (Airlie Beach)
- Best Use of Steel Frame Housing – Alpha Steel Building Systems Pty Ltd for Views on Clarke (Bargara, Bundaberg)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 – KARDA Constructions Pty Ltd for Air House (Mount Gravatt East, Brisbane)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $276,000 – $575,000 – Urbane Build Pty Ltd for Cavell Street (East Toowoomba)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $576,000 – $1 million – Graya Construction Pty Ltd for The Russet House (Paddington, Brisbane)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $1 million – Taranaway Building & Landscapes Pty Ltd for Verney Project (Graceville, Brisbane)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – 2 to 5 Dwellings – Dj Buckley Builders Pty Ltd T/A DS&B Joinery for Curtis Street (East Toowoomba)
- Medium Density up to 3 storeys – over 5 Dwellings – AMD Quality Constructions Pty Ltd for Vuze (Cleveland, Redland City)
- Lifestyle Housing for High Care Needs, Disabled and Seniors Award – Askonstructions Pty Ltd T/A Hotondo Homes Toowoomba for Blair Lifestyle Home (East Toowoomba)
- Excellence in Sustainable Living – MyStyle Homes (QLD) Pty Ltd for MyTenacity (Smithfield, Cairns)
- Residential Trade Contractor of the Year – Filippo Grasso T/A Rock Solid Tiling for View Residence (Paddington, Brisbane)
- Best Residential Bathroom – D T L Constructions Pty Ltd for Villa Florentine (Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast)
- Best Residential Kitchen – Platinum Property Group Pty Limited T/A Platinum Residential Designer Homes for Home Waters (Twin Waters, Sunshine Coast)
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Benjamin Young T/A Unique Pools for Bribie Contemporary (Banksia Beach, Brisbane)
- Apprentice of the Year – Matthew King (Camira, Ipswich) from Corella Construction Pty Ltd
- Rising Star – Robert Gray (Kenmore, Brisbane) from Graya Construction Pty Ltd
- Women in Building – Rachael Turner (Calamvale, Brisbane) from Yowassup Pty Ltd T/A Front Porch Properties
- Institute of Building Consultants – Andrew Mackie-Smith (Ashgrove, Brisbane) from BuildingPro Pty Ltd
- Diversity – MiHaven Pty Ltd (Cairns)
- People's Choice – Corella Construction Pty Ltd for The Vine House (Bardon, Brisbane)
- President's Award – Swish Design & Construct Pty Ltd T/A Swish Homes Queensland for Sander House (Kleinton, Toowoomba)
- Project of the Year – FK Gardner & Sons for Cairns Aquarium (Cairns)
- House of the Year – D T L Constructions Pty Ltd for Villa Florentine (Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast)
Further images of major award winners are available via Dropbox.
Media enquiries: Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media via email at email@example.com or on 3225 6436
Christine Buzzard, Digital Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6424