25 August 2018
FROM one of the country’s most unique attractions, to sustainable living options and contemporary designs, this year’s Far North Queensland Master Builders Housing & Construction Awards winners brought building and project visions to life.
It was Cairns’ time to shine on Saturday, 25 August as the Cairns Convention Centre played host to the biggest building and construction names in Far North Queensland at the annual Master Builders Awards ceremony.
FK Gardner & Sons and Higham Building Group were the big winners on the night, taking home Project of the Year and House of the Year, respectively.
The work FK Gardner & Sons did on Australia’s first new aquarium in 18 years, Cairns Aquarium was recognised as Project of the Year and for Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million. The project has provided a major boost to local tourism and is a true showcase of what the region has to offer.
Atherton-based builders, Higham Building Group, won House of the Year and Individual Home $551,000 – $650,000 with their Black Gully Road house, while their Roseblade project also won the Individual Home $751,000 - $950,000 category.
Ashlee Jones Homes were the other big winner on the night, taking home President’s Award and Individual Home $251,000 – $350,000 for their Karobean Design, and Individual Home $351,000 – $450,000 for their Julie Design.
Master Builders’ Far North Queensland Regional Manager, Ron Bannah, congratulated all the winners across the 37 categories.
“The standard of homes, projects and individuals entered in this year’s Awards program was extremely impressive,” Mr Bannah said.
“The delivery of the Cairns Aquarium, a project that was more than six years in the making, has been a massive win for our area and the quality of the finished product by FK Gardner & Sons is exceptional.
“The calibre and complexity of the winning homes is second to none and epitomise what living in Far North Queensland is all about.”
Cairns Aquarium nets top award
Winner of the 2018 Far North Queensland Project of the Year – FK Gardner & Sons
The Cairns Aquarium project is an incredible icon for Far North Queensland. This project presented a high level of complexity, including an extremely large building footprint, and the co-ordination of the offshore manufacture of key components. It boasts three levels, with a 7,800 square metre aquarium, housing 15,000 aquatic animals, fish, plants, and other organisms.
FK Gardner & Sons have exhibited a high level of ingenuity in the design, manufacture, and execution of this project.
Raw luxury a winner
Winner of the 2018 Far North Queensland House of the Year – Simon Higham Building Pty Ltd T/A Higham Building Group
This stunning home perfectly fits the bill of the ’raw luxury’ style requested by it owners. Designed to reflect their unique personalities, the combination of industrial and antique features are present throughout.
The standout feature of this home is a large suspended bridge spanning the upper storey. With glass balustrade and black handrails, it provides a contemporary interconnection between the media room and master bedroom.
Featuring a floor to ceiling stone fireplace, giant timber book cases, and a stunning outdoor area complete with a pizza oven, this home epitomises the Far North lifestyle of relaxation and laid back entertaining.
Warm and welcoming a winner
Winner of the 2018 Far North Queensland President’s Award – Ashlee Jones Homes Pty Ltd
This beautiful home has been cleverly designed to have a free flowing feel that maximises views of the gorgeous Mareeba sunsets. Featuring a blend of luxury finishes, The Karobean has been meticulously finished in a neutral colour palette creating a warm and welcoming space. Offering four generous bedrooms, two bathrooms and a media room adjoining the formal lounge, this home has been described as a classic.
Clever use of timber features including the front and garage doors has also given it the optimum in street appeal.
All Far North Queensland winners
- Education Facilities up to $10 million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for St Joseph’s Primary School Redevelopment (Parramatta Park)
- Education Facilities over $10 million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for James Cook University Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine (Smithfield)
- Retail Facilities over $5 million – ADCO Constructions Pty Limited for Smithfield Shopping Centre Entertainment & Leisure Precinct (Smithfield)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million – FK Gardner & Sons for Cairns Aquarium(Cairns)
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – Kingston Building Australia Pty Ltd for Australian Border Force Accommodation Facility (Thursday Island)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) up to $20 million – Allaro Homes Cairns Pty Ltd for Life on Lake (Cairns)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million – ADCO Constructions for James Cook University Student Accommodation Precinct, Cairns (Smithfield)
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $750,000 – Richard Field Constructions Pty Ltd T/A Field Construct for Modifications to Baptistery at St. Monica's Cathedral, Cairns (Cairns City)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Lake Street Carpark Building Upgrade (Cairns)
- Display Home up to $250,000 – Value Homes (NQ) Pty Ltd for The Rosetta Display Home (Edmonton)
- Display Home over $551,000 – MyStyle Homes (QLD) Pty Ltd for MyTenacity (Smithfield)
- Individual Home up to $250,000 – David A McIntosh for Mt Sheridan (Mt Sheridan)
- Individual Home $251,000 – $350,000 – Ashlee Jones Homes Pty Ltd for Karobean Design (Mareeba)
- Individual Home $351,000 – $450,000 – Ashlee Jones Homes Pty Ltd for Julie Design (Peeramon)
- Individual Home $451,000 – $550,000 – Flory's Homes Pty Ltd T/A Superior Steel Homes NQ for The Kingfisher (Tolga)
- Individual Home $551,000 – $650,000 – Simon Higham Building Pty Ltd T/A Higham Building Group for Black Gully Road (Tinaroo)
- Individual Home $651,000 – $750,000 – Matt Greenwood Constructions Pty Ltd for Riverstone (Gordonvale)
- Individual Home $751,000 – $950,000 – Simon Higham Building Pty Ltd T/A Higham Building Group for Roseblade Road (Yungaburra)
- Individual Home $951,000 – $1.25 million – Richard Field Constructions Pty Ltd T/A Field Construct for Strutton House (Mooroobool)
- Individual Home $1.26 million – $2 million – Allquest Pty Ltd T/A Omni Builders for The Peak (Brinsmead)
- Best Use of Sloping Sites – Vis Constructions Pty Ltd for The Eco House (Mareeba)
- Best Use of Steel Frame Housing – NQ Sheds and Patios Pty Ltd for Kuranda eCohousing (Kuranda)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 – Mihaven Pty Ltd for John Street (Cairns North)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $276,000 – $575,000 – Nathan Verri Pty Ltd for Paul Residence (Edmonton)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – 2 to 5 Dwellings – MiHaven Pty Ltd for Smith Street (Cairns North)
- Excellence in Sustainable Living – MyStyle Homes (QLD) Pty Ltd for MyTenacity (Smithfield)
- Best Residential Bathroom – Allquest Pty Ltd T/A Omni Builders for The Peak (Brinsmead)
- Best Residential Kitchen – Simon Higham Building Pty Ltd T/A Higham Building Group for Odyssey Close (Lake Eacham)
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Richard L Olfen T/A RLO Pool Construction for Whitfield Pool (Whitfield)
- Apprentice of the Year – Robert Ketchell
- Rising Star – Cameron Twittey
- Women in Building – Sarah Mort
- Institute of Building Consultants – Rodney Byl from Code Blue Certifiers Pty Ltd T/A The Building Approval Company
- Diversity – MiHaven Pty Ltd
- President's Award – Ashlee Jones Homes Pty Ltd for The Ashlee Jones Homes Karobean Design (Mareeba)
- Project of the Year – FK Gardner & Sons for Cairns Aquarium (Cairns)
- House of the Year – Simon Higham Building Pty Ltd T/A Higham Building Group for Black Gully Road (Tinaroo)
Further images of major award winners are available via Dropbox.
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media via email at email@example.com or on 3225 6436
Christine Buzzard, Digital Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6424