26 August 2019
CAIRNS showcased excellence and innovation at this year’s Master Builders Far North Queensland Housing & Construction Awards, with an abundance of exciting homes, projects and people receiving awards.
Accolades flowed when the biggest names in the industry gathered on Saturday, August 24 at the Cairns Convention Centre to celebrate the best in the building business.
Bungalow-based La Spina Homes won House of the Year and Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $2 million with The Berther Residence. This Trinity Beach renovation project was a complete strip-out and re-build of an existing 1990s dual occupancy building, turning it into a stunning and contemporary family-friendly home.
Upon entry there is a roofed gate house with dry stack stone walls, a prominent feature which is complemented by the well-designed landscaping and a green wall garden feature. The stone wall is featured throughout the home and creates a warm, earthy feel. The judges were impressed with the level of detail with multiple finishes and the materials sourced throughout the build.
FK Gardner and Sons took home Project of the Year and Commercial Building over $50 million with the Cairns Performing Arts Centre, an innovative and challenging project. The construction of a new and contemporary centre was purpose built to meet the needs of the region’s performing arts community.
The building contains state-of-the-art performance management equipment including lighting controls, prop lift systems, moveable orchestra pits and stage floor elevators. A great addition to the Centre, the ‘studio theatre’ has been specifically crafted to feature an innovative moveable floor system. The result is an incredible facility for the community to enjoy.
Master Builders’ Far North Queensland Regional Manager, Sharon Vella, congratulated all winners across the 42 categories.
“The standard of entries in this year’s Awards program was extremely impressive, it definitely makes our judges’ job harder,” Ms Vella said.
“And once more showcases the skill, knowledge and attention to detail that can be delivered by the builders in our region.
“The quality of the winning homes is second to none and epitomises what living in the Far North is all about.”
To see all the 2019 Far North Queensland Housing & Construction Award winners visit our winners page.
Innovating and challenging
Winner of the 2019 Far North Queensland Project of the Year – FK Gardner and Sons T/A FKG Group for Cairns Performing Arts Centre
The Performing Arts Centre offers immediate wow factor. The project was not without its challenges, the new building needed to be designed around existing culturally significant plants and garden features. Protecting these plants while also maintaining access for safe execution of the new building required thorough planning and application.
Similarly, the wet season brought its challenges for the team on site. With plenty of rain making working conditions slippery and dangerous, the safety team implemented an initiative to ensure the first task of the day was to dewater the site and sweep all stairs.
Throughout construction more than 1,460 workers were employed, 60 local trade companies were engaged, 14,400 tonnes of concrete poured, and 500 tonnes of structural steelwork completed.
- “The innovation in stage construction and the difficulty of construction were standouts in this project. Just one example is the orchestra area which is nine metres below ground level and below water table,” the judges said.
- “The use of local products and services or trades where possible was also noteworthy. But the fact that many of the services required in the performing arts centre are so specialised that many builders had no prior experience certainly would have created some challenges that our winner has successfully overcome.
- “The high level of finishes throughout was also very impressive.”
Winner of the 2019 Far North Queensland House of the Year – Matteo La Spina T/A La Spina Homes for The Berther Residence
It’s not an easy task to transform a home from a 1990s style house to a modern and stylish family home that pushes the boundaries of the latest design ideas using multiple product types throughout the home. The team behind this Trinity Beach renovation project have achieved great results, rebuilding it with a generous parent’s retreat which includes gym and media room, and a balcony complete with a daybed and private garden.
It is truly an exceptional build of incredible craftsmanship.
- “The extreme level of difficulty required in the renovation of the existing house and the required access would have been tricky due to the location,” the judges said.
- “Every aspect of this house is amazing, the level of detailing with multiple finishes and materials, the use of specialised items required the workmanship to be of a very high standard.
- “It is truly magnificent and is a credit to the design team and all who have been involved with this project.”
Fine finishes at an affordable price
Winner of the 2019 Far North Queensland President’s Award – KCA Constructions FNQ for Mulgrave Design
The key to living in Far North Queensland is keeping cool, capturing the cool tropical breeze and maintaining a view of the surroundings. Mulgrave Design is a brilliant example of a well-designed home on a budget.
This home offers four bedrooms, open-plan living and high ceilings. The master bedroom contains a luxurious ensuite and the well-appointed kitchen includes a walk-in pantry and stone benchtops.
- “Attention to detail is apparent in this home with features including shadow line cornices and the use of louvres for cross ventilation,” the judges said.
- “An open plan living area fitted with clear glass louvres and high ceilings with feature fans to keep the house cool, complete with stone benchtops and a walk-in pantry make this home a unique build for the price.
- “A home the average Queenslander can truly aspire to own.”
Robyn Devine, Digital Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6424
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media at email@example.com or 3225 6436.