24 August 2018
FROM world-class entertainment resorts and education facility upgrades, to resort-style homes and modern sanctuaries, this year’s North Queensland Master Builders Housing & Construction Awards winners have showcased what’s great about living in the state’s north.
Townsville came to life on Friday, 24 August as the recently revamped, The Ville Resort hosted North Queensland’s biggest building and construction names at the annual Master Builders Awards ceremony.
In an exciting and unique opportunity for event-goers, the venue itself, built by Hutchinson Builders, took home the coveted Project of the Year, along with the Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million award.
Townsville-based home builders, Dean Powell Constructions took home awards for House of the Year and Individual Home $651,000 – $750,000, along with Best Residential Kitchen, for work on their contemporary home, The Resort.
Martin Locke Homes were the other big winner on the night, collecting five awards in total, including Display Home $251,000 – $350,000, Individual Home up to $250,000 and Individual Home $351,000 – $450,000, while their employees were recognised in the Apprentice of the Year and Women in Building categories.
Master Builders’ North Queensland Regional Manager, Melissa Coulter, congratulated all the winners across the 40 categories.
“The standard of homes, projects and individuals entered in this year’s Awards program was extremely impressive,” Ms Coulter said.
“The commercial projects completed in our region over the past year will have a positive impact on the local community now and into the future, and are a testament to what our local builders are capable of.
“The quality of winning homes is second to none and epitomise what living in North Queensland is all about.”
The Ville, a landmark for Townsville locals
Winner of the 2018 North Queensland Project of the Year – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders
The redevelopment of The Ville Resort and Casino included three new restaurants, a poolside function space with capacity for 1,100 people, an infinity edge pool and elevated deck to connect the pool and lobby spaces.
The completed facility represents a landmark venue for locals and tourists alike, to be enjoyed whilst absorbing the breathtaking views.
Resort-living year round
Winner of the 2018 North Queensland House of the Year – Dean Powell Constructions Pty Ltd
’The Resort' is a home that ticks all boxes for comfortable living in North Queensland, boasting luxury living and easy-care finishes. Positioned on an acreage block with an urban-country feel, the home captures the natural breeze and features a stunning pool, six bedrooms and three bathrooms, along with a formal entry, large patio and numerous sitting and lounge areas.
Value for money
Winner of the 2018 North Queensland President’s Award – Pro-View Homes Pty Ltd
The Hestia Street home has been designed with no wasted space. Four bedrooms with a media room and a large ensuite allow this design to deliver in all areas whilst still providing a spacious feeling. A little bit of luxury in the family home includes a butler’s pantry and a small bar area in the media room.
Pro-View Homes have excelled in building a home that delivers value for money, practicality and livability in design.
All North Queensland winners
- Health Facilities up to $5 million – Corinthian Constructions Pty Ltd for Strive Health & Physiotherapy (Kirwan)
- Health Facilities $5 million – $20 million – Paynter Dixon Queensland Pty Ltd for Townsville Hospital Clinical Services Department (Douglas)
- Education Facilities up to $10 million – W & F Constructions for Kirwan State High School Covered Quadrangle (Kirwan)
- Education Facilities over $10 million – Jackson Semler Pty Ltd for St Benedict's School Stage 1 (Shaw)
- Sporting Facilities – A Gabrielli Construction Pty Ltd for Calvary Leadership College Sports Centre (Mount Louisa)
- Community Service Facilities – A Gabrielli Construction Pty Ltd for Calvary Leadership College Building One (Mount Louisa)
- Retail Facilities up to $5 million – FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd for BP Bohle (Bohle)
- Retail Facilities over $5 million – ADCO Constructions Pty Limited T/A ADCO for Willows Shopping Centre Stage North Expansion (Thuringowa Central)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for The Ville Project (Townsville)
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – Citibuild Pty Ltd for Pacific Island International Warehouse & Office Building (Shaw)
- Commercial Building $5 million – $50 million – Paynter Dixon Queensland Pty Ltd for Mike Carney Lexus/Toyota Dealership (Garbutt)
- Community Accommodation for Aged Care and Nursing Homes – TF Woollam & Son Pty Ltd T/A Woollam Constructions for Canossa Aged Care (Trebonne)
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $750,000 – C D Lewty Pty Ltd T/A C D Lewty & Sons for Ayr Anzac Memorial Club (Ayr)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 – RCQ Projects Pty Ltd for JCU - Indigenous Education & Research Centre (Douglas)
- Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Environmental Management – Jackson Semler Pty Ltd for St Benedict's School Stage 1 (Shaw)
- Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year – PJ Walsh Constructions Pty Ltd for The Ville Resort-Casino (Townsville)
- Display Home up to $250,000 – Williams Constructions Pty Ltd T/A A.P. Williams & Company for Airlie Design (Burdell)
- Display Home $251,000 – $350,000 – Martin Locke Homes Pty Ltd for Barramundi Circuit (Burdell)
- Display Home $351,000 – $450,000 – Hewitson Homes Pty Ltd for The Journey 280 (Burdell)
- Display Home $451,000 – $550,000 – Williams Constructions Pty Ltd T/A A.P. Williams & Company for Edgewater 316 (Burdell)
- Individual Home up to $250,000 – Martin Locke Homes Pty Ltd for Entourage 184 (Bohle Plains)
- Individual Home $251,000 – $350,000 – Pro-View Homes Pty Ltd for Hestia Street (Burdell)
- Individual Home $351,000 – $450,000 – Martin Locke Homes Pty Ltd for Custom 290 (Bohle Plains)
- Individual Home $551,000 – $650,000 – Pro-View Homes Pty Ltd for Vistas Of The Bay (Castle Hill)
- Individual Home $651,000 – $750,000 – Dean Powell Constructions Pty Ltd for The Resort (Jensen)
- Individual Home $751,000 – $950,000 – Lifestyle Constructions NQ Pty Ltd for Eyre Street (North Ward)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 – Lifestyle Constructions NQ Pty Ltd for Willmett Street (Townsville City)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $276,000 – $575,000 – Jdmac HOLDINGS PTY LTD T/A Samford Homes for Douglas Remodel (Douglas)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – over 5 Dwellings – Paynter Dixon Queensland Pty Ltd for Supported Accommodation Facility, Bowen Rd (Rosslea)
- Residential Trade Contractor of the Year – Paul J Mifsud for Musk House/Clothes Peg Station (Charters Towers)
- Best Residential Bathroom – Lifestyle Constructions NQ Pty Ltd for Victoria Street (North Ward)
- Best Residential Kitchen – Dean Powell Constructions Pty Ltd for The Resort (Jensen)
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Anthony Maxwell Hartigan T/A Sun City Pools for The Vista (Mount Louisa)
- Apprentice of the Year – James Barrie from Martin Locke Homes Pty Ltd
- Rising Star – Kiall Franzmann from Franzmann Constructions Pty Ltd
- Women in Building – Debbie Jones from Martin Locke Homes Pty Ltd
- Trevor Mustey Perpetual Award for Quality Workmanship – Reef Coast Constructions Pty Ltd
- President's Award – Pro-View Homes Pty Ltd for Hestia Street (Burdell)
- Project of the Year – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for The Ville Project (Townsville)
- House of the Year – Dean Powell Constructions Pty Ltd for The Resort (Jensen)
Further images of major award winners are available via Dropbox.
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media via email at email@example.com or on 3225 6436
Christine Buzzard, Digital Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6424