26 August 2019
FROM premium education facility upgrades to resort-style homes and contemporary family homes, this year’s North Queensland Master Builders Housing & Construction Awards winners have showcased what’s great about living in the state’s north.
Townsville came to life on Friday, 23 August as The Ville Resort hosted North Queensland’s biggest building and construction names at the annual Master Builders Awards ceremony.
Reeves Constructions were delighted to receive a number of awards especially the biggest gong, House of the Year for the Cleveland Residence. Their trophies included Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $1 million, Best Residential Kitchen and Best Residential Bathroom for their work on the amazing Cleveland Residence. The Trevor Mustey Perpetual Award for Quality Workmanship was also awarded to Reeves Construction.
The Cleveland Residence had to overcome obstacles like retaining walls, geotechnical issues including substantial upgrades to the foundations and major demolition logistics. The design required relaxation of the boundary offsets to allow the full potential of the site and the client’s brief to be realised. Despite the obstacles, the end result is a stunning home that provides practical liveability for the tropical environment of Townsville.
The result has been achieved using materials such as black Indian granite and Cararra marble, spotted gum flooring, as well as a beautiful cedar wine cellar, which is just one of many unique features. There is nothing ‘industry standard’ about this job, it challenged every trade.
The other big winner of the night was A Gabrielli Constructions collecting not only Project of the Year for the Ergon Energy Garbutt Depot Stage 2 project and Industrial Building over $5 million but also taking home the Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 and Education Facilities up to $5 million categories.
The Ergon Energy Garbutt Depot Stage 2 encompassed demolition, civil works and construction of new buildings and required operations to continue during the redevelopment. The judges said they were impressed with the 18-month project’s ability to meet additional requirements from the client and they commended A Gabrielli Constructions on facilitating strong working relationships throughout the project.
Master Builders’ North Queensland Regional Manager, Melissa Coulter, congratulated all the winners across the 43 categories.
“The quality of the winning homes and projects is second to none and once more showcases the skill, knowledge and attention to detail that can be delivered by the Builders in our region,” Ms Coulter said.
“The homes and projects completed in our region over the past year have a positive impact on our community now and into the future and they are a testament to what our local builders are capable of. It is a credit to everyone involved.
“The quality of our winning homes is also second to none and epitomise what living in North Queensland is all about.”
To see all the 2019 North Queensland Housing & Construction Award winners visit our winners page.
Communication was the key
Winner of the 2019 North Queensland Project of the Year – A Gabrielli Constructions Pty Ltd for Ergon Energy Garbutt Depot Stage 2
With a project manager/engineer and project team full-time on site, daily communication challenges were managed successfully and efficiently.
By separating the re-development into three stages Ergon Energy continued to operate throughout the construction. The project includes a stunning open-plan office design combined with modern staff amenities, allowing the large work force to perform within a cutting edge workplace environment.
- “The multi-staged project for Ergon at its Garbutt depot required detailed programming and team communication from the builder to allow operations to continue throughout construction,” the judges said.
- “The breadth and scope of the project allowed A. Gabrielli Constructions to really engage with the client and practice their full range of skills.
- “Skilful execution of the contract including the external site works, right down to the landscaping, proved the expert and proficient delivery of this project. A worthy recipient for Project of the Year.”
First impressions are lasting impressions
Winner of the 2019 North Queensland House of the Year – Reeves Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd for Cleveland Residence
This magnificent home by Reeves Constructions doesn’t disappoint. From the spacious entry through to the living zones and on to the external deck, this design oozes tropical chic whilst optimising the panoramic views over the marina, Magnetic Island and Cleveland Bay.
Perched high above a rocky precipice on Melton Hill in Townsville, a unique transformation of an existing residence has created a modernist, tropical home unrecognisable from the original dwelling.
- “We were equally impressed with the builder’s ability to negotiate a difficult site requiring major structural upgrades to foundations and retaining walls, while work proceeded on substantial demolition of the existing structure,” the judges said.
- “The builder’s craftsmanship and critical attention to detail was exemplary with the skilful combination of different structural materials, various cladding selections and floor finishes. This brought its own set of problems and challenges which were aptly met by the experienced construction team.
- “This was truly a unique home with the conceptual design delivered by a team of specialist subcontractors, and led by a builder who excelled in all of the virtues of what it truly means to be a Master Builder.”
Clever layout with stylish storage
Winner of the 2019 North Queensland President’s Award – Emporio Property Group Pty Ltd for The Kent
The Kent is a single storey home with three-gable roofline, which gives the persona of a large family home. Setback from the road, the width of the driveway creates a sense of spaciousness without being overbearing. Emporio Property Group have built a perfect family home that also represents great value.
The house was designed for family living centred on a large open plan kitchen, family and dining area, has and also offering a separate theatre room for hours of entertainment.
- “The first view of the Kent made us want to see what was behind the inviting front elevation. The home had instant appeal as it sat well on the block with a nice wide frontage,” the judges said.
- “The kitchen is at the centre of the home and looks out to a large outdoor area providing a picture window for a full view of the herb and vegetable garden. Easy clean porcelain tiles throughout the living areas provide durable easy clean floors which complement the reconstituted stone kitchen benchtop.
- “This home offers a clever layout with little wasted space and plenty of storage for a four bedroom home with an ensuite to the main. Great value, perfect for a family, the Kent is a very deserving winner of the President’s Award.”
Robyn Devine, Digital Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6424
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6436.