22 July 2019
FROM refurbishing iconic buildings, developing intricate sports centres to expansive mansions and decorative interiors, the talent of this year’s Master Builders Downs & Western Housing & Construction Awards is once again, inspirational.
Nick Ruhle Homes is the proud winner of the House of the Year with a distinctly Hampton’s Inspired residence, Rascal Views, nestled amongst secluded bushland. This builder’s ‘forever’ home has been many years in the making, with the design stage focusing on the needs of the young family and the transition into teenage years.
Winner of the coveted Project of the Year, Northbuild Construction is extremely grateful to have been awarded the opportunity to have constructed a state of the art facility, The Glen McCracken Sports Centre for Toowoomba Grammar School.
The project showcased Northbuild’s ability to professionally manage numerous obstacles including complex engineering, innovative building techniques and working within a live school environment. The end result is an impressive and imposing multi-sport facility with exceptional finishes both externally and internally that will be heavily utilised by the school for generations to come.
Master Builders’ Downs & Western Regional Manager, Linda Rosengreen, congratulated all the winners across the 42 categories.
“The quality of the winning homes and projects is second to none and once more showcases the skill, knowledge and attention to detail that can be delivered by the Builders in our region. It is a credit to everyone involved.”
“The Housing & Construction Awards provide an opportunity to highlight the talent of the Downs & Western Builders.”
To see all the 2019 Downs Housing & Construction Award winners visit our winners page.
Innovative construction for a safer build
Winner of the 2019 Downs & Western Project of the Year – Northbuild Construction Qld Pty Ltd
The Glen McCracken Sports Centre project is impressive, it is a structure equivalent to a six-storey building. The project involved 2,015 cubic metres of concrete, 338 tonnes of structural steel, 40,000 blocks and 60,000 bricks.
With innovative solutions, Northbuild Construction produced impeccable quality in the face of adversity. Limited site access, inclement weather and latent ground conditions would be tough on any project but coupled with a highly technical project constructed within an operating school environment, it adds another layer of difficulty.
This facility will be an invaluable asset to Toowoomba Grammar School students for generations to come.
- “An exceptionally complex and difficult build with numerous construction techniques and external cladding types all melded together to create a functional sports facility, make this a standout project,” the judges said.
- “Due to the location of the building within the school area, materials handling and scheduling of works became critical to the success of the project, and the timely completion of the works are testament to the builder’s organisational skills.
- “This is truly a ‘state of the art’ sports centre completed to an exceptional standard.”
A sense of luxury resonates a relaxed family home
Winner of the 2019 Downs & Western House of the Year – Nick Ruhle Homes Pty Ltd
This stunning and distinctly Hamptons Inspired residence sits among a secluded bushland vista. It features six bedrooms, five bathrooms, a powder room, guest room with ensuite, and a three car garage. The extensive use of natural stone and timber throughout, combined with stone bench tops and floor to ceiling tiling in the bathrooms provides a real sense of luxury in the home. The owners personally selected finishes to ensure a sense of warmth and homeliness, not usually achieved in this size of home.
Rascal Views provides a definite ‘wow factor’ upon first sight, with the expert craftsmanship apparent in the attention to detail in its finishes.
- “The house was truly a pleasure to inspect. We were impressed by the craftsmanship that was displayed by the builder and the amount of fine construction detailing included in the completed project,” the judges said.
- “Although the house is grand in proportion it also exudes a warm and inviting feeling from the moment you step inside the front door.
- “The quality of the indoor construction flows seamlessly to the outdoor areas and makes this a house that the whole family can enjoy.”
Detail is in the finishings
Winner of the 2019 Downs & Western President’s Award – Gordon Bourke Constructions Pty Ltd
This affordable yet stylish home is packed with features including an extremely functional kitchen with a glazed scullery and ample storage in the walk-in pantry.
A wraparound alfresco, is ideally positioned for the north-easterly aspect, and perfect for entertaining. This is an impressive home that combines premium quality with enviable style and represents exceptional value for money.
- “A well-designed house that has great street appeal and highlights the dedication of the builder to provide a high level of quality in the completed project,” the judges said.
- “It is clear that the builder’s involvement in all stages of the delivery of the project from design, to product and colour selection, throughout construction to handover has created a house that really works for the modern Australian lifestyle.
- “The builder has created a high quality residence that delivers smart ideas delivered in a practical and common sense way.”
Robyn Devine, Digital Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6424
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media at email@example.com or 3225 6436.