12 August 2019
The Sunshine Coast Master Builders Housing & Construction Awards have showcased what living on the Sunny Coast is all about, from urban terrace designs along coastal areas and exquisite homes in rural settings to stylish yet affordable living and upgraded landmarks.
The best builders on the Coast were on hand to honour the skills and craftsmanship of their industry at the Novotel Twin Waters Resort on Saturday, 10 August.
Braeden Constructions proudly took home not only the coveted House of the Year, but alsoIndividual Home over $2 million, Best Residential Bathroom and the Best Residential Kitchen with their stunningCooroy Mountain residence.
The judges noted the builder had the interesting challenge of bringing the client’s vision to life, a home that encapsulates the outlook of the horse and cattle property and is efficient and appealing.
The house is a suspended slab that cantilevers the blockwork walls by three metres to give a feel of floating above the land. Designed to let the outside in and embrace sustainability features, the winning entry provides a heavenly rural retreat.
The Maroochydore-based Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre extension project generated 2,900 jobs over two years, however the project wasn’t all smooth sailing as there were an extraordinary number of challenges for Lendlease, winner of Project of the Year for Retail Facilities over $5 million as well as winning theRefurbishment/Renovation over $750,000category.
Not only was the project constrained by existing buildings and car parking, construction also had to be staged to allow the shopping centre and its tenants to continue trading without interruptions. At the same time, it was also important that extreme care be taken of the environmentally-sensitive Cornmeal Creek that runs through the whole site.
The judges said the degree of planning, the challenges faced and the coordination required, with the need to think outside the box and the skill to carry it through are a credit to all involved.
Master Builders’ Sunshine Coast Regional Manager, Will Wilson, congratulated all the winners across the 56 categories.
“The calibre of entries at this year’s Awards was outstanding, with quality of workmanship and presentation clearly on display,” Mr Wilson said.
“The commercial projects completed in our region position the Sunshine Coast as a hub of south east Queensland, and contribute to putting us on the map as the place to do business.
“This year’s homes showcase what living on the coast is all about and are a tribute to our Sunshine Coast builders and tradies.”
To see all the 2019 Sunshine Coast Housing & Construction Award winners visit our winners page.
Sunshine Plaza enjoys an extension
Winner of the 2019 Sunshine Coast Project of the Year – Lendlease Building Pty Ltd
The size and the scope of the Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre extension at Maroochydore came with an extraordinary number of challenges for the builder.
Significant rain events provided challenges to Lendlease for construction schedules, as did high winds which saw three tower cranes unable to be operated. Instead, three mini cranes were brought in across the creek to operate from the decks and mitigate possible delays. The redevelopment added about 34,0000sq m of gross floor area to the existing 73,000sq m.
- “Logistics crews needed to come in at night to bring in scaffolding while trading continued in existing malls,” the judges said.
- “A strong indigenous engagement program was included, while the construction period highlighted the surrounding environment and at all times maintained respect for the indigenous culture and heritage.
- “Overall, the project utilised 1.6million man hours and inducted more than 2,900 people.”
Contemporary Farm House takes top gong
Winner of the 2019 Sunshine Coast House of the Year – Braeden Constructions Pty Ltd
With Mount Cooroy as a backdrop and Mt Tinbeerwah to the north, this quality home by Braeden Constructions appears to be floating in the Noosa hinterland landscape.
The way the Cooroy Mountain Residence interacts with the environment is surprising. With a mix of rendered walls and feature brickwork, beautiful timber floors, cabinetry and stone benches the design provides an interesting and unique house.
- “The welcoming entry area includes a central fish pond that can be opened right up as well as provide a calming rural view between the bedrooms and the main living,” said the judges.
- “The bathrooms are stunning, offering forever views from the stand-alone tubs and spacious showers. The main bathroom features a steam room while a mitre jointed stone slab serves as a central wall of the shower.
- “The surrounds include an ionised pool and floodlit tennis court as well as dam with cabana and deck. The finished product must bring the builder immense satisfaction to see it as such a beautifully functioning home.”
House with a difference
Winner of the 2019 Sunshine Coast President’s Award – Aspect Homes Qld Pty Ltd
Right from the first sight of The Austen the judges knew they were in for something different. Aspect Homes took full advantage of the block. Due to an easement on the rear, the entertainment area had to be able to be easily removed if needed.
The Austen is well-designed with separate living and entertainment areas that would appeal to either a first home buyer or a family. The finishes and fittings used are of a standard normally appearing in a more expensive property.
- “The entry into the home was inviting and then when you walk down the hallway and into the main area you were delighted with the open living opening up to the outdoors,” the judges said.
- “The open plan living-dining area, media lounge and kitchen are exceptional for a home of this value. The island bench in the kitchen features waterfall ends and together with a butler’s pantry is in a commanding position for ease of serving the various living spaces.
- “For the size of the block it was a great design and use of space, especially at such a competitive price point.”
Robyn Devine, Digital Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6424
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media at email@example.com or 3225 6436.