30 November 2020
IN WHAT has arguably been one of the toughest years in living memory, Queensland builders have brought home a quarter of the trophies at the 2020 Master Builders Australia National Excellence in Building & Construction Awards with a total of 14 wins – the highest number in state history.
The livestreamed event saw Hutchinson Builders cap off a record-breaking awards season at state and regional level by taking out the prestigious National Residential Master Builder of the Year award for their work on the Sunshine Coast’s stunning Seaview Terrace home.
The detailed and complex carpentry, insulation and plastering work on the home also saw C2 Projects win the coveted title of National Specialist Contractor of the Year – Residential.
Scaling the dunes of the Sunshine Coast’s iconic Sunshine beach, Seaview Terrace is widely regarded as a masterpiece. The complexity of design and immaculate finish are a true testament to the work of Hutchinson Builders and C2 Projects. A journey of vision has culminated in a completed home of excellence – an impressive, modern beach house in a stunning coastal setting.
Brisbane’s Peter Johnston Tiling was also honoured as National Specialist Contractor of the Year – Construction, for Newstead’s Chester & Ella project. The two-tower, 19-storey buildings house a total of 319 apartments, including 20 penthouses. Peter Johnston Tiling’s work on the wet areas, balconies, kitchens, lobbies, common areas, roof tops and pool surrounds also saw them incorporate luxury stonework such as marble, granite and limestone, with 18,000m2 of tiling delivered on time and to the highest finishing standards.
Queensland Rising Star winner Sebastian Toscano also cemented his already sterling reputation in the industry, named National Young Builder of the Year. In the five years since establishing Toscano Constructions, the Coorparoo builder’s winning formula is his uncompromising rule of completing every build as if it were for his own family to live in. With a growing portfolio of architectural builds and multi-home developments, Sebastian is also focused on investing in the next generation, having overseen at least 30 apprentices.
Congratulating all 14 winners, Master Builders Queensland CEO Grant Galvin said the record haul proved Queensland builders are leading the way for the industry.
“After achieving greatness at regional and state level, I’m proud to see so many of our members being recognised on the national stage, particularly in what’s been a tough year on all accounts,” Mr Galvin said.
“They’ve risen above and shown they’ve got talent, passion and commitment in spades, and always deliver quality craftsmanship of the very highest standard.”
All Queensland winners – 2020 Master Builders Australia National Excellence in Building & Construction Awards
- National Environment and Energy Efficiency Commercial Building Award – Newlands Commercial Construction Pty Ltd for Amaroo Environmental Education Centre Eco Classroom (Downs & Western)
- National Alterations/Additions Award – $650,000 to $1M – Ingenious Homes Pty Ltd for Broadbeach Waters Residence (Gold Coast)
- National Display Home – $250,000 to $350,000 – McDonald Jones Homes T/A Brighton Homes for Kenzie 26 (Brisbane)
- National Display Home – $350,000 to $500,000 – McDonald Jones Homes T/A Brighton Homes for Grayson 30 (Brisbane)
- National Display Home – $500,000 to $1.5M – Sanctuary 28 Projects (QLD) Pty Ltd T/A Sanctuary 28 Projects for The Corner House (Gold Coast)
- National Contract Home – under $350,000 – Executive Living Homes Pty Ltd – Parkedge Abode (Mackay & Whitsunday)
- National Contract Home – $500,000 to $750,000 – Platinum Property Group Pty Limited for North Point 48 (Sunshine Coast)
- National Contract Home – $1 million to $2 million – Enterprise Constructions Pty Ltd for Clear Island Waters Residence (Gold Coast)
- National Contract Home – Over $2 Million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Seaview Terrace (Sunshine Coast)
- National Lifestyle Housing for Seniors Award – Retirement Villages – TF Woollam & Son Pty Ltd for Alondra Residences (Brisbane)
- National Specialist Contractor of the Year – Residential – C2 Projects Pty Ltd for Seaview (Sunshine Coast)
- National Specialist Contractor of the Year – Construction – Peter Johnston Tiling Pty Ltd for Chester & Ella (Brisbane)
- National Young Builder of the Year – Sebastian Toscano from Toscano Constructions (Brisbane)
- National Residential Master Builder of the Year – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Seaview Terrace (Sunshine Coast)
For images of all Queensland winners, please click here
For a full list of Queensland's 2020 Master Builders Australia National Excellence in Building & Construction Awards winners, please click here
Melissa Seiler, Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6424
Christine Buzzard, Digital Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6418
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 3225 6436