18 August 2018
FROM beach bars and local school refurbs, to waterfront mansions and luxury show homes, this year’s Mackay & Whitsunday Master Builders Housing & Construction Awards winners have showcased exactly what’s great about living in this idyllic part of the Sunshine State.
The Mackay Convention Centre played host to the annual Master Builders Awards ceremony on Saturday, August 18, where some of the Mackay & Whitsunday region’s biggest industry names were recognised.
Airlie Beach-based Leith Mitchell Builder cleaned up on the night with their unique beachfront restaurant and bar, Northerlies at Freedom Shores in Airlie Beach. The one-of-a-kind venue took home the prestigious Project of the Year, along with Retail Facilities up to $5 million, Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million and Commercial Building up to $5 million.
Fellow Airlie builders, Coastal Edge Constructions were the other big winners on the night, taking home a staggering six awards, including Individual Home $951,000 – $1.25 million, Individual Home $1.26 million – $2 million, Best Use of Sloping Sites, Best Residential Bathroom, Best Residential Swimming Pool and the coveted House of the Year.
Master Builders’ Mackay & Whitsunday Regional Manager, Malcolm Hull, congratulated all the winners across the 39 categories.
“The quality and diversity of homes, projects and individuals entered in this year’s Awards program was extremely impressive,” Mr Hull said.
“We saw some really unique entries this year – a testament to what our local builders and tradies are capable of.
“This year’s homes showcase what living in the Mackay & Whitsunday region is all about and highlight what amazing natural surrounds we have.”
A bar on a beach
Winner of the 2018 Mackay & Whitsunday Project of the Year – Leith Mitchell T/A Leith Mitchell Builder
As soon as you walk into Northerlies at Freedom Shores, the wow factor is evident. Everything is on a grand scale; from the timber to the fabulous bars and the views that are enjoyable all year round.
The showpiece of the project are the boats used for the bars. They were salvaged locally and cut and relocated into position within the venue, which is reflective of the Whitsundays and captures the natural light and breeze of this amazing location.
Airlie’s newest Cove
Winner of the 2018 Mackay & Whitsunday House of the Year – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd
Built with both position and lifestyle in mind, every detail of The Cove has been well thought-out. From the magnificent swimming pool, to the exceptional fit and finish in every facet, this five-bedroom, three-bedroom home takes full advantage of the views to the harbour, with all rooms and the outdoor entertainment area soaking them up.
The property is natural and raw, with timeless Italian glass lights, Black Bean Timber vanities and natural limestone tiled bathrooms. The home has Spotted Blue Gum timber flooring throughout and custom made New Guinea Rose Wood bi-fold doors and windows, which allows the outside, in.
The 13 metre pool feels like you can step into it from the living area with floor to ceiling glass panels and glass louvres. These continue on the second level, with high ceilings and glass panels providing uninterrupted views out to the water and mountains.
New home, old character
Winner of the 2018 Mackay & Whitsunday President’s Award – Jorgensen Builders Pty Ltd
This Hunter 245 home by Jorgensen Builders offers excellent value for money and features an open-plan kitchen and living area to suit the family environment.
The fixtures, cabinetry, outdoor living areas and small individual touches are unique to this building company and add a touch of character.
This home is well designed to suit the surrounding dwellings and finished for its catered market.
All Mackay & Whitsunday winners
- Health Facilities up to $20 million – Roebuck Designer Homes Pty Ltd for Grays Chiropractic & Wellness (Ooralea)
- Education Facilities up to $10 million – Zined Property Services T/A Zined Group for Mercy College - Library Redevelopment (Mackay)
- Community Service Facilities – TF Woollam & Son Pty Ltd T/A Woollam Constructions for Mackay Fire Station (Mackay)
- Retail Facilities up to $5 million – Leith Mitchell T/A Leith Mitchell Builder for Northerlies at Freedom Shores (Woodwark)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million – Leith Mitchell T/A Leith Mitchell Builder for Northerlies at Freedom Shores (Woodwark)
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – Leith Mitchell T/A Leith Mitchell Builder for Northerlies at Freedom Shores (Woodwark)
- Industrial Building over $5 million – FK Gardner and Sons T/A FKG Group for Moranbah Resource Recovery Centre (Moranbah)
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $750,000 – MyCore Constructions Pty Ltd for Seabreeze Hotel Extension (Slade Point)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 – Fergus Builders Pty Ltd for St Francis Xavier Catholic Primary School Block B Refurbishment (West Mackay)
- Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year – Coral Coast Plastering for Bowen Police Station (Bowen)
- Display Home $251,000 – $350,000 – JC Constructions (NQ) Pty Ltd for Nessa (Cannonavale)
- Display Home $351,000 – $450,000 – Dixon Homes Mackay for Modified SC2005 (North Mackay)
- Display Home $451,000 – $550,000 – GJ Gardner Homes Whitsunday for Somerset 306 (Cannon Valley)
- Individual Home up to $250,000 – Triumph Enterprises Pty Ltd T/A Hotondo Homes Mackay for Ravenswood 157 (Rural View)
- Individual Home $251,000 – $350,000 – Jorgensen Builders Pty Ltd for Hunter 245 (West Mackay)
- Individual Home $351,000 – $450,000 – Lindsay Bates Building Pty Ltd for Hydeaway Bay Haven (Hydeaway Bay)
- Individual Home $451,000 – $550,000 – Executive Living Homes Pty Ltd for Botanical Abode (Ooralea)
- Individual Home $551,000 – $650,000 – Jorgensen Builders Pty Ltd for Riverleigh 353 (North Mackay)
- Individual Home $651,000 – $750,000 – Moggy's Developments Pty Ltd for Logan 387 (Erakala)
- Individual Home $751,000 - $950,000 – Executive Living Homes Pty Ltd for Curved Abode (Alligator Creek)
- Individual Home $951,000 – $1.25 million – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd for The Cove (Airlie Beach)
- Individual Home $1.26 million – $2 million – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd for Marina Views (Airlie Beach)
- Best Use of Sloping Sites – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd for Turtle Bay (Airlie Beach)
- Best Use of Steel Frame Housing – Greene Homes Whitsunday Pty Ltd for Dingo Beach Holiday House (Dingo Beach)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 – Luxury Living Homes Pty Ltd T/A Smith & Sons Renovations & Extensions Mackay North for Bridge Residence (Mackay)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $276,000 – $575,000 – Urban Trend Constructions Australia Pty Ltd for Sunset Residence (Erakala)
- Best Heritage Renovation – Dixon Homes Mackay for The Patrick (North Mackay)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – 2 to 5 Dwellings – Moloko Homes Pty Ltd for The Jessamine Duplex (Cannonvale)
- Residential Trade Contractor of the Year – Gangemi Cabinet Makers Pty Ltd for Five Wave (Flame Tree)
- Best Residential Bathroom – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd for Turtle Bay (Airlie Beach)
- Best Residential Kitchen – Latitude 20 Homes Pty Ltd for Revolon Residence (Bowen)
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd for The Cove (Airlie Beach)
- Apprentice of the Year – Hayden Wright from Roebuck Designer Homes
- Rising Star – Michael Peterson from Peto's Construction Pty Ltd
- Women in Building – Jennifer Lowcock from Lowcock Builders Pty Ltd
- The Ken & Nola Clark Perpetual Award for Quality Workmanship – Latitude 20 Homes Pty Ltd
- President's Award – Jorgensen Builders Pty Ltd for Hunter 245 (West Mackay)
- Project of the Year – Leith Mitchell T/A Leith Mitchell Builder for Northerlies at Freedom Shores (Woodwark)
- House of the Year – Coastal Edge Constructions Pty Ltd for The Cove (Airlie Beach)
Further images of major award winners are available via Dropbox.
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 3225 6436
Christine Buzzard, Digital Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6418
Leah Kidd, Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6424.