24 July 2021
THE COAST shone bright at this year’s Gold Coast Master Builders Housing & Construction Awards, which highlighted the talent and resilience of the local building and construction industry, despite a tough year of challenges and delays.
The Awards ceremony returned to a live crowd on Saturday, 24 July at the RACV Royal Pines Resort, with local builders relishing the chance to get back in person and celebrate the abundance of talent and innovation the industry is renowned for.
DTL Constructions swooped in and secured the sought-after House of the Year title for their Paradise Point mansion, The Pinnacle (40 Knightsbridge Pde West, Sovereign Islands), which also snagged the award for best Individual Home over $2 million. No strangers to the top gong, having also won the major prize in 2018 for their Sanctuary Cove project, The Sanctuary, this year’s winning home by the family-owned business is a brilliant display of craftsmanship and innovation that oozes the essence of resort living.
The DTL Constructions team were also successful in the Best Use of Steel Frame Housing category, winning with their Grand Canal project on Hope Island.
Luxury development, Jewel Residences, by Multiplex Constructions Qld caught the eye of our judges this year and was awarded Project of the Year and best Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million. As the first absolute beachfront development on the Gold Coast in more than 30 years, these three striking towers offer spectacular oceanfront and hinterland views, while boasting separate residence and hotel lobbies, five luxury retail tenancies, world class business amenities, resort-style swimming pools, function facilities, private bars, and causal and fine dining restaurants.
Multiplex also took home the prize for Excellence in Workplace Health & Safety for their innovative solution to keep their workers safe from falls from heights and falling object risks during the build process.
The effortlessly bright and welcoming feel of Choice Homes’ Southampton Display earned the Coomera project the prestigious President’s Award, as well as Best Display Home $251,000 – $350,000.
Other big winners on the night were boutique builders, Kai Konstruct with protégés Tara Hogan and Liam Carey taking out the Women in Building and Apprentice of the Year titles, respectively. Christopher Symons from Symcorp Building Services was also recognised as the 2021 Rising Star.
Master Builders Gold Coast Regional Manager, Adam Profke, congratulated the winners across all 47 categories.
“The diversity and quality of building work across the Gold Coast, particularly during this time of uncertainty, is testament to the resilience of our local industry,” Mr Profke said.
“2020 was a year of unexpected challenges and hurdles, but our industry took it in their stride and have produced some truly outstanding work.
“From educational hubs, soaring luxury towers and health retreats, to canal-front mansions, acreage-living homes and Hamptons-inspired abodes, the Gold Coast building community came together and smashed it out of the park.
“All of our 2021 entrants should be extremely proud of their efforts.”
The jewel in the crown
Winner of the 2021 Gold Coast Project of the Year – Jewel Residences by Multiplex Constructions Qld Pty Ltd
With an unrivalled level of quality and attention to detail, the Jewel Residences by Multiplex is a showcase project where vision, design, engineering and construction all meet to create something truly remarkable.
Every floor in every tower is a different shape and size, each with intricacies you have to see up close to understand their true complexity.
The Jewel project is unlike anything else on the Gold Coast, with its scale and unique geometric shape setting it apart from its peers.
“This is a truly extraordinary and iconic building project.”
“Bigger does not always mean better. However, in this case the challenges that were overcome were equal to, if not larger, than the size of the buildings themselves.”
“The engineering and subsequent construction challenges that were overcome to build three different, 40+ storey towers, where every floor plate on every level is different, in such close proximity to each other, is mind blowing. It is not until you stand at the bottom of the towers and look up that you start to appreciate the enormity of the challenge faced by the project team.”
“Talking to the project team when we attended the site clearly showed that the team fully lived and breathed the project from day one and showed a passion for the industry that exemplifies all the positive things that we should stand for.”
Paradise Point home reaches pinnacle of success
Winner of the 2021 Gold Coast House of the Year – The Pinnacle by DTL Constructions
The name of this property, 'The Pinnacle', says it all. This remarkable luxury home was built over four levels, boasts an abundance of glass which fills the interior spaces with natural light, and provides expansive views to North Stradbroke Island, Surfers Paradise and the Gold Coast hinterland.
This seven-bedroom home oozes the essence of resort living. From its lavish outdoor entertaining zone and swim up pool bar, to the secret gentlemen's quarters and six-car garage, this is a custom home to rival the most luxurious five-star resort.
The entire top floor is a master suite haven, including a beautifully appointed bathroom, vast walk-in robe, lounge and kitchenette.
In addition, taking central position on the second floor, is a plush multimedia room, featuring a unique suede-effect recessed ceiling.
“This is a spectacular home. It is a truly remarkable project.”
“Any number of category-winning houses could have taken out the 2021 House of the Year, which is a credit to house builders on the Gold Coast. However, it was the little things in this house that made it stand out from the crowd.”
Effortless living at an affordable price
Winner of the 2021 Gold Coast President’s Award –The Southampton Display by Choice Homes
Effortlessly bright and welcoming, this four-bedroom family home boasts easy livability, stylish appeal and relaxed sophistication.
A beautiful façade, and a fusion of modern and yesteryear, combined with on trend colours are just some of the elements that stood out to our judges.
This home represents exceptional value with market leading premium inclusions and brings together all the elements you need for a comfortable home to suit families at all stages in life.
“This project displayed a high level of finish.”
“This project represents excellent value for money with so many inclusions that would traditionally be additions for many other homes.”
All Gold Coast winners
- Health Facilities up to $20 million – Built Qld Pty Limited for John Flynn Private Hospital POWER Project (Tugun)
- Education Facilities up to $10 million – Tomkins Commercial & Industrial Builders Pty Ltd T/A Tomkins Commercial for Aquinas College Administration Building, Ashmore (Ashmore)
- Education Facilities over $10 million – Condev Construction for The Annand Theatre – The Southport School (Southport)
- Community Service Facilities – Thallon Mole Group Pty Ltd for Edge Early Learning Coomera (Coomera)
- Retail Facilities up to $5 million – Ashley Cooper Construction Pty Ltd for Ashmore Tavern - Gaming / Bistro Extension (Ashmore)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million – Unita (Qld) Pty Ltd for Eden Health Retreat (Currumbin Valley)
- Tourism and Leisure Facilities over $10 million – Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd for HOTA Gallery (Surfers Paradise)
- Excellence in Workplace Health & Safety – Multiplex Constructions Qld Pty Ltd for Jewel Residences (Surfers Paradise)
- Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Environmental Management – Akela Constructions Pty Ltd for South Currigee Campgrounds Amenities Building (South Stradbroke Island)
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – Lory Group Pty Ltd for '8 Byte St Yatala' (Yatala)
- Commercial Building from $5 million up to $50 million – Condev Construction for Gold Coast Airport Hotel (Bilinga)
- Industrial Building up to $5 million – Lory Group Pty Ltd for '8 Byte St Yatala' (Yatala)
- Industrial Building over $5 million – Kane Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd for National Storage Self Storage Facility, Biggera Waters (Biggera Waters)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) up to $20 million – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for Pacific, Palm Beach (Palm Beach)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million – Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd for Jewel Residences (Surfers Paradise)
- Community Accommodation for Aged Care and Nursing Homes – McNab NQ Pty Ltd for Churches of Christ Lady Small Haven (Benowa)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 – Goris Co Projects Pty Ltd for Hi Smile Global HQ (Burleigh Heads)
- Display Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 – Choice Homes (Qld) Pty Ltd for The Southampton Display (Coomera)
- Display Home over $550,000 – Metricon Homes for Fontaine (Tallai)
- Individual Home up to $250,000 – Tidal Constructions Pty Ltd for Mini Casa (Reedy Creek)
- Individual Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 – Privium Pty Ltd for Kalbar Residence (Kalbar)
- Individual Home from $350,000 up to $450,000 – Ausgill Projects Pty Ltd for The Cottage (Wongawallan)
- Individual Home from $450,000 up to $550,000 – Heritage Homesteads for Riemore Custom II (Tamborine)
- Individual Home from $550,000 up to $650,000 – JM Building Development for Sawgrass Place (Hope Island)
- Individual Home from $650,000 up to $750,000 – Dawson Constructions QLD for Villa Sunshine (Miami)
- Individual Home from $750,000 up to $950,000 – Resolve Logistics Pty Ltd T/A Resolve Construction for 42 Montego (Ormeau)
- Individual Home from $950,000 up to $1.25 million – Tidal Constructions Pty Ltd for Back to Front House (Southport)
- Individual Home from $1.25 million up to $2 million – JG BUILDING PROJECTS for The Palms (Burleigh Heads)
- Individual Home over $2 million – DTL Constructions Pty Ltd for The Pinnacle (Paradise Point)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project from $275,000 up to $575,000 – PJH Constructions Australia Pty Ltd for 33IKKINA (Burleigh Heads)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project from $575,000 up to $1 million – Ramirez Velasquez, Ricardo Andres T/A Projects and Designs Engineers for Norseman (Surfers Paradise)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $1 million – Clamroc Constructions for Tropez (Bundall)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – 2 to 5 Dwellings – PJH Constructions Australia Pty Ltd for 1GUYRA (Burleigh Heads)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – over 5 Dwellings – J Hutchinson Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders for VUE Terraces Stage 1 – 4 (Robina)
- Best Use of Sloping Sites – Resolve Logistics Pty Ltd T/A Resolve Construction for The Lowry Farmhouse (Neranwood)
- Best Use of Steel Frame Housing – DTL Constructions Pty Ltd for Grand Canal (Hope Island)
- Best Residential Kitchen – JG BUILDING PROJECTS for The Palms (Burleigh Heads)
- Best Residential Bathroom – Greg Beh Constructions Pty Ltd for Sanctuary Cove - Grand Master Ensuite (Sanctuary Cove)
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Norfolk Pools Pty Ltd for Berrigans (Mudgeeraba)
- Apprentice of the Year – Liam Carey from Kai Konstruct Pty Ltd (Kingsholme)
- Rising Star – Christopher Symons from Symcorp Building Services (Burleigh Heads)
- Women in Building – Tara Hogan from Kai Konstruct Pty Ltd (Mermaid Beach)
- Residential Trade Contractor of the Year – Mark A Underwood for Hampton Magic (Broadbeach Waters)
- Ron McMaster Memorial Award for Excellence in Craftsmanship – Davey Constructions for Tallebudgera yourtown Prize Home II (Tallebudgera Valley)
- President's Award – Choice Homes (Qld) Pty Ltd for The Southampton Display (Coomera)
- Project of the Year – Multiplex Constructions Qld Pty Ltd for Jewel Residences (Surfers Paradise)
- House of the Year – DTL Constructions Pty Ltd for The Pinnacle (Paradise Point)
Christine Buzzard, Digital Communications Advisor at email@example.com or 3225 6418
Melissa Seiler, Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3225 6424
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media at email@example.com or 3225 6436