Expert advice, practical solutions, free for members
Master Builders Members Legal is Master Builders' wholly-owned legal practice that has your back when you need it.
Our lawyers specialise in both residential and commercial construction legal and contractual advice, available exclusively to members and tailored to your business or specific circumstances. As a member, you can:
- Access unlimited free legal and contractual advice relating to building and construction - specific to your situation
- Speak to qualified lawyers who specialise in building and construction law
- Receive expert advice with practical solutions.
Whether you’re a builder or a subcontractor, starting building, renovation and construction projects can be a complex journey, often full of legal complexities. If you’re a Master Builders member, you can take advantage of the invaluable support provided by Members Legal. We’re a service that offers expert legal advice on construction projects at absolutely no cost.
This exclusive member benefit is designed to not only help our members when contractual and legal issues arise, but also offer guidance before you begin your projects, helping you choose the right contacts, supply price issues and advice, QCAT general advice, Statutory Trust Accounts (STAs) and BIFA advice, plus more.
We help ensure you have the legal guidance you need to navigate the intricacies of the building and construction industry and safeguard your business. We’re the legal minds behind you.
Members Legal serves as a cornerstone of support for Master Builders members, offering guidance, advice, and expertise to navigate the legal landscape of construction projects with confidence and assurance.
Who is it for?
We can help both builder and subcontractor members who operate as a business or sole trader in either the residential or commercial sector.
We can advise you on:
- Your options before entering a contract
- Your rights and obligations under a contract
- How to avoid and deal with disputes during and after the job
- Managing payment disputes
- Your rights and obligations under the various laws and regulations affecting the building and construction industry (e.g. the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 and the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017 etc.)
Comprehensive support tailored to your needs
As a Master Builders member, you gain access to many legal services tailored to address the unique challenges you’re dealing with. Members Legal is committed to providing advice specific to your situation, ensuring that you are well-informed and equipped to make sound decisions throughout your projects.
A spectrum of legal and contractual guidance
Members can take advantage of various services, including contract advice tailored to the specifics of their projects. This encompasses a range of crucial areas of law, such as:
- Rights and obligations of contracts: understanding the terms and conditions of your contracts
- Which contract to use for your specific project, ideal to know before you enter into a contract
- Supply price issues and advice
- Insolvency advice
- Navigating Extension of Time (EOT) claims and Variation claims
- Receiving guidance on matters about the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017 (BIFA)
- Payment disputes including adjudication processes
- Statutory Trust Accounts (STAs)
- Advice regarding QBCC decisions and directions: offences, defective work, licence threat resulting from defective work, plus more
- Understanding new or updated legislation
- QCAT – general advice and processes.
One of the most noteworthy aspects of Members Legal is that Master Builders members can use this service without incurring any additional charges. Whether you need assistance with selecting the right contract for your project, deciphering the intricacies of contract terms and conditions, or seeking advice on Statutory Trust Accounts (STAs) - Members Legal is here to assist you — all at no additional cost.
Scope of expertise and limitations
It's important to note that Members Legal focuses exclusively on legal and contractual matters affecting the building and construction industry. This encompasses a wide range of issues but excludes matters outside of this domain, such as employment law, personal injury, industrial relations, and other general legal matters.
Limitations and Referral Process
While Members Legal is a valuable resource, there are certain limitations to the services it provides. Members Legal is unable to represent you in court or tribunal actions or provide comprehensive advice on complex matters, such as terminating a contract. If the advice or service you need is outside of Members Legal’s scope, you will be referred to an appropriate external lawyer who is part of Master Builders' panel of lawyers.
Your details in confidence
Master Builders Members Legal is a registered Incorporated Legal Practice in Queensland and operates as a distinct and independent law firm , with strict confidentiality practices in place, keeping your matters within the four walls of the Members Legal team. Rest assured that your information, as a member, will consistently be treated with confidentiality under the Legal Profession Act 2007 and in accordance with our lawyers’ professional obligations.
You can trust Members Legal to provide the information you require without any concerns—your information, issues and data are secure and are not shared with anyone outside of our Members Legal team.
Get in touch
Got a legal or contractual problem? Contact us and our customer service team will connect you with the Members Legal team, who'll be in touch to provide you with the advice you need, at no extra charge.
Our Members Legal team can communicate with you over the phone, email, Zoom or face-to-face and your matters are kept in strict confidence in line with Legal Profession Act 2007 and in accordance with our lawyers’ professional obligations.
Individual liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.