Definitions used in this policy
‘Personal information’ is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, (a) whether the information or opinion is true or not, and (b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in material form or not. Personal information can include business information where it identifies an individual. Employee records, although they contain personal information, are covered by certain exclusions under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and are treated differently to other personal information.
1. Your rights
Master Builders seeks to comply at all times with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (the Act) and other laws regulating the collection, storage, quality, use and disclosure of personal and sensitive information, ensuring that you are given certain rights in respect of this information.
Master Builders has adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) published by the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner and operates in accordance with those principles.
2. Collection of personal information
Master Builders chiefly obtains personal information including information such as contact details, contact names, employment details, insurance details, billing information, from you as an applicant for membership or for insurance, as a purchaser or user of Master Builders products, services, website, and/or as an applicant for employment with Master Builders. Should you not provide information, or provide inaccurate information, your membership and/or insurance application may be unable to be processed.
In addition, Master Builders routinely receives or obtains personal information about third parties (which can include you) from other members, from members of the public and from public records.
All such information will, or may, be collected, held, used or disclosed for any or all of the following purposes:
- Membership records, administration, marketing of individual members to actual or potential clients
- Provision of services such as general advice to support your business, dispute resolution and legal services
- Elections of Master Builders officials
- Membership recruitment
- Dissemination to you of Master Builders releases and other information relevant to members and/or to the public
- Insurance records, administration and insurance marketing
- Training records, administration and marketing
- Disclosure of personal information by Master Builders to third parties, including to facilitate marketing approaches by or on behalf of Master Builders or on behalf of businesses listed on our website
- General administrative and marketing purposes of Master Builders
- Analysis and reports
- Administration of the Master Builders Constitution and the Master Builders Australia Code of Practice
- Exchange of information with other state Master Builders associations and with Master Builders Australia
- Marketing of Master Builders and of sponsors' products and services to you
- Upon cancellation of membership
- Compliance with the Industrial Relations Act 2016
- Consideration of applications for employment
- Improvement of products, services and events.
4. Correction of personal information
Master Builders endeavours to take all steps reasonable to confirm the accuracy and completeness of personal information which it holds, at the time this information is collected, used or disclosed.
Master Builders' members can access and update their personal information online with the secure login and password provided with your membership package. As a member or customer you may also advise Master Builders directly of a change or correction to your personal information. Master Builders will update its records to reflect the correct personal information.
5. Your consent
In supplying personal information, you agree to any or all of the above uses of your personal information that you supply to Master Builders. You also agree to similar use of other personal information that we may obtain about you from other sources mentioned above.
Subject to the Act, if Master Builders acquires any of your personal information in other ways, or if Master Builders uses your personal information for purposes other than those listed above (or purposes reasonably related to, or to be reasonably implied from, those), Master Builders will notify you and seek your consent. Whenever reasonably practicable, Master Builders will seek such consent in advance of, but in any case as soon as practicable after, such event. At such times, Master Builders will take reasonable steps to inform you of:
- The purpose/s for which the information is collected
- Any law (where applicable) that requires us to collect that information
- The main consequences if you refuse or fail to supply any item or items of information, or to authorise its collection or its use.
6. Records containing personal information
The Act allows individuals to access and (if appropriate) to correct or to update the records held containing personal information relating to themselves.
Subject to the provisions of the Act, on request Master Builders will arrange access for you to inspect your personal information held by Master Builders. If, following such inspection, you wish to update or correct any item or items of your personal information, arrangements will be made for you to apply for such update or correction.
Master Builders may use your personal information to improve its products, services and events and offer you our or our sponsors’, partners’ or suppliers’ products and services which may be relevant to your needs. We may disclose personal information about you to third party contractors, but if we do so we take steps to ensure that your privacy is respected.
Master Builders will not disclose your personal information to any other third parties unless you consent or have already consented to such disclosure or where such disclosure is permitted, or required, under the Act or other legislation.
8. Information storage and security
Personal information is stored electronically and/or in hard copy either at Master Builders or a professional storage facility.
9. Risks of using the Internet
Transmitting information via the Internet carries a security risk, which Master Builders cannot and will not attempt to control. Before using the Internet for communication, please assess the attendant risks, and proceed only if you are prepared to accept those risks.
10. Opting out
If you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from Master Builders, which may include information about services, products and events, you can opt out at any time by writing to The Privacy Officer, Master Builders, 417 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane Queensland 4000 or emailing your request.
Disclosure to third Parties
Master Builders may use your personal information to improve its products, services and events and offer you our or our sponsors’, partners’ or suppliers’ products and services which may be relevant to your needs. If you do not wish to allow Master Builders to supply your personal information to third parties (sponsors and business partners, suppliers of Master Builders), you can opt out at any time by writing to The Privacy Officer, Master Builders, 417 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane Queensland 4000 or emailing your request.
11. Accountability, feedback and complaints
We welcome any feedback you may care to provide concerning our privacy policies or practices. If you wish to provide any feedback, are unhappy with the way in which Master Builders manages your personal information or wish to report a breach we encourage you to contact our Privacy Officer by telephone on (07) 3225 6444, post to The Privacy Officer, 417 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane Queensland 4000 or email.
Master Builders is committed to dealing with complaints and grievances in a timely and effective manner. Our complaints process is fair and transparent, enabling issues to be addressed effectively and efficiently.
All complaints and grievances, including actions taken and their outcomes, are recorded in the complaints register and reported to Executive as required. Each complaint instigates a review of the current process and, where necessary, changes to procedures are made.
You can obtain more information about your rights and about remedies of any breaches from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or by visiting the Australian Government website.
Master Builders Queensland collects and uses data related to your online activity using cookies and other related technologies to provide you with a better online experience.
While using our services, we may also collect and hold other information by using cookies and other technologies. Cookies allow tracking and storage of information about your use of the internet and our services, either directly or through third parties, such as Google Analytics.
- Store your username and password so you are recognised when you return to our site
- Provide us with information on how our site is being used to improve your browsing and experience
- Develop our product and services
- Tailor our marketing and advertising to our users interests
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used by website owners in order to make their websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
You can choose not to provide us with information by updating your web browser settings to control how cookies are used on your computer or device (this may limit some experiences on our site and if you delete all cookies, you will need to re-enter passwords and some preferences).