10 September 2021
PROJECTS capturing the essence of the enviable Sunshine Coast lifestyle were on show at the 2021 Housing & Construction Awards, with local builders proving they haven’t let the tough times overshadow their talents.
The excitement was palpable as Master Builders Queensland welcomed a live crowd to the event at Venue114, Bokarina, on Friday 10 September.
Once again, the calibre of entries brought by this year’s field was exceptional, overcoming the ongoing trade and materials shortages and price hikes hampering the industry. The judging panel was delighted with the quality of workmanship, impeccable finishes, and level of detail on show in every project.
Mosaic Property Group snapped up the sought-after Project of the Year title for the stunning Avalon by Mosaic multi-residential development, as well as best Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over $20 million. Mosaic’s vision to create an innovative and inspirational address unlike anything in the region has been brought to life in its rare position directly on the shores of the Maroochy River. Residents of the 93 opulent homes within enjoy a five-star luxury resort lifestyle, including showpiece pool, gym, and ground-floor artisan café.
The Mosaic team also took home the Best Residential Kitchen award for the Avalon – Azure 1701, housed inside the super-exclusive waterfront building of the development. This kitchen is the undisputed heart of this masterpiece residence, featuring premium oak timber flooring, Marmarino (Italian Plaster) walls, and a showstopping 6000 x 900mm marble island bench. A generous butler’s pantry, wine cellar and wet bar complete this dream space.
Capturing breathtaking ocean views across three levels, Pacific House epitomises Sunshine Coast living, earning Grant McDonald Homes the coveted House of the Year award. This distinctive modern home utilises natural materials including glass, stone and timber, and boasts skylights, raked ceilings, a large decked alfresco and pool area and smart technology among its enviable features, making it the ultimate coastal family home. This exceptional build was also named best Individual Home from $750,000 up to $950,000.
Hailed by the judging panel as the place anyone would love to call home, Tailslide Beach Build won the prestigious President’s Award, as well as Individual Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 for Devcon Building Co. This oasis of luxury flaunts enviable design and style, from the expansive living areas flowing seamlessly out to the magnificent alfresco, tranquil pool area, luxurious parents’ retreat, and eye-catching stone and timber exterior, this beachside beauty has it all.
Other big winners on the night were Oz Set Australia, who bagged a double with Residential Trade Contractor of the Year for their work on Buderim’s Greenwood Project, and Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year for Gympie RSL Club.
Evans Built made it a hat trick with Retail Facilities up to $5 million for Market Bistro at Maroochydore, as well as Commercial Building from $5 million up to $50 million and Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Environmental Management for Maroochydore’s Foundation Place Sun Central.
There was also a triple treat for BA Murphy Constructions, who won Health Facilities up to $20 Million for Wandi Nerada (Mooloolah Valley), best Individual Home from $1.25 million up to $2 million for The Coastal Hamptons Beach House (Yaroomba), and Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) up to $20 million for Emerge (Caloundra).
Master Builders Sunshine Coast Regional Manager, Nicola Scott, congratulated the winners across all 48 categories.
“Our members have truly lived up to this year’s Awards theme, Built to rise above, which was inspired by them and their work. The projects they’ve delivered during these challenging times are a testament to their skills and resilience,” Nicola said.
“Since the pandemic first delivered its sucker-punch, they’ve refused to give up, and our local builders, tradies and all those doing great things in our industry truly make me proud.
“From beautiful homes celebrating the enviable Sunny Coast lifestyle, to exciting tourism destinations, community facilities, sustainable masterpieces and artistic marvels, this year’s projects are nothing short of breathtaking.
“It doesn’t matter whether they’ve taken an Award home this year or not. Each of our 2021 entrants are a part of the Master Builders family and help cement why we’re so widely trusted and respected.”
Opulent resort-style living simply "perfection"
Winner of the 2021 Sunshine Coast Project of the Year – Mosaic Property Group for Avalon by Mosaic
Set on the banks of the Maroochy River, Avalon by Mosaic comprises 93, 2-and-3-bedroom apartments, and ultra-luxury 3-and-4-bedroom residences across two architecturally striking boutique buildings. A mixture of glass, solid and batten balustrading and extensive sliding bronze perforated panels and considered screening balance privacy and views. An arresting 5.6m by 5.3m green wall at the entrance creates a breathtaking sense of arrival.
The super-exclusive waterfront building of just 15, Azure, offers sweeping river and ocean views, and river access via a private jetty, with each residence either half or full-floor sized. The Arbor building comprises 78, 2-and-3-bedroom oversized apartments, with river access via a private pontoon.
The level of buyer customisation created a series of construction complexities, as did the riverside location. Avalon also has a multi-residential 6-Leaf EnviroDevelopment rating thanks to features including the use of recycled aggregate in the concrete, aluminium in the window and door frames, and recycled glass.
“Built for those that require brilliance with no expense spared…perfection.”
“Another level of construction excellence. Attention to detail is excellent. Welcoming feel right from the street to the waterfront.”
“Everything has been thought of. Of special note was the attention to natural air flow and natural light throughout the public areas. It’s got that international hotel feel.”
“Stunning residence of international standard not experienced before on the Coast. Aesthetically appealing from every angle.”
“Huge attention to detail. Fantastic greenery integrated within the project.”
The epitome of Sunshine Coast living
Winner of the 2021 Sunshine Coast House of the Year – Pacific House by Grant McDonald Homes
This modern, unique architectural home is truly one of a kind. Builder Grant McDonald was involved from the design process to the finished product, overcoming the tough coastal environment and rolling surf across the road to deliver a truly exceptional build.
Beyond the solid timber front door is a four-bedroom home built across three levels. Beneath feature skylights, the gourmet kitchen, butler’s pantry and main living area open onto the larger east-facing decked alfresco space, which takes in the sweeping ocean views, and the beautiful magnesium glass-pebbled pool below.
The living space boasts a two-way fireplace nestled inside a brick feature wall, with an entertaining space on the opposite side. Upstairs, the stunning bedrooms and study boast select-grade blackbutt flooring and those stunning views.
The home is also environmentally friendly, with solar powered LED lights, heat pump hot water, lifestyle glazing and tint to the glass, while the creature comforts included LED touch button light switches, video intercom, and piped sound throughout.
“A great example of coastal living. Aspect to beach in the east, three levels of living with pool to the street in the northeast. Good use of separation of living areas, and great indoor-outdoor lifestyle.
“Great street appeal. Well thought out design with multiple entertaining areas. The design takes into account the coast’s laid-back lifestyle.”
“This home has wide appeal, and a little quirkiness, suited to its location.”
A place anyone would love to call home
Winner of the Sunshine Coast 2021 President’s Award – Tailslide – Beach Build by Devcon Building Co
Light-filled and with room for the whole family, this gorgeous designer home is the epitome of beachside living. The stunning stone and timber exterior provides enviable street appeal. Inside, elegant finishes and striking detail abound.
The home has been planned to allow for seamless living transitions with expansive living areas, including dining, family and kitchen, all cleverly positioned to flow seamlessly out to the magnificent alfresco area via stacker doors. Coupled with large windows and high ceilings, these open and connected spaces allow light and air to naturally fill this home.
The luxurious parents' retreat is adjoined by a sublime ensuite and large separate walk-in robes, along with a built-in study space, perfect for working from home. Remaining bedrooms are all queen-sized with bedrooms two and three also offering robes.
Sky-high ceilings soar overhead in the open-plan kitchen, dining and living space, while the covered outdoor area and tranquil pool make for perfect entertaining, all taking full advantage of the small block.
“House well thought out. Set out to take full advantage of all living areas. Good design, anyone would be pleased to live here.”
“So much on a small block. Very warm feel and aspirational for so many demographics. The kitchen is in a functional position, and the bathrooms of a high standard.”
“Unique in today's market. Good use of block and lifestyle. The open entertaining area near the street utilises what could otherwise be wasted space.”
All Sunshine Coast winners
- Health Facilities up to $20 million – BA Murphy Constructions Pty Ltd for Wandi Nerida (Mooloolah Valley)
- Education Facilities up to $10 million – Badge Constructions (Qld) Pty Ltd for K1 Creative Arts & Performance Building (Sippy Downs)
- Sporting Facilities – Basalt Constructions Pty Ltd for Maroochy Rugby Union Club Changerooms (Maroochydore)
- Community Service Facilities – Kane Constructions (QLD) Pty Ltd for Automated Waste Collection System (AWCS) Maroochydore (Maroochydore)
- Retail Facilities up to $5 million – Evans Built Pty Ltd for Market Bistro (Maroochydore)
- Tourism & Leisure Facilities up to $10 million – Ashley Cooper Construction Pty Ltd for Maroochy RSL Gaming Room Expansion & Refurbishment (Maroochydore)
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – Apollo Property Group Pty Ltd for SurfAir Beach Hotel Bistro (Marcoola)
- Commercial Building from $5 million up to $50 million – Evans Built Pty Ltd for Foundation Place Sun Central (Maroochydore)
- Industrial Building up to $5 million – David A Becker for Kelly Industrial Sheds (Landsborough)
- Industrial Building over $5 million – Total Construction Pty Limited for Kennards Self Storage Baringa (Baringa)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) up to $20 million – BA Murphy Constructions Pty Ltd for Emerge (Caloundra)
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) over to $20 million – Mosaic Property Group Pty Ltd for Avalon by Mosaic (Maroochydore)
- Community Accommodation for Aged Care and Nursing Homes – T F Woollam & Son Pty Ltd T/A Woollam Constructions for The Avenue Maroochydore (Maroochydore)
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $750,000 – Cross Constructions Pty Ltd for Loea Boutique Hotel (Maroochydore)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $750,000 – Ashley Cooper Construction Pty Ltd for Maroochy RSL Gaming Room Expansion & Refurbishment (Maroochydore)
- Excellence in Energy Efficiency and Environmental Management – Evans Built Pty Ltd for Foundation Place Sun Central (Maroochydore)
- Individual Home up to $250,000 – J Co Constructions Pty Ltd for Bream Hamptons (Nirimba)
- Individual Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 – Devcon Building Co Pty Ltd for Tailslide - Beach Build (Bokarina)
- Individual Home from $350,000 up to $450,000 – TyStyle Pty Ltd for Mill Residence (Buderim)
- Individual Home from $450,000 up to $550,000 – Basalt Constructions Pty Ltd for 'RAIMA' (Bli Bli)
- Individual Home from $550,000 up to $650,000 – Madden Developments Pty Ltd T/A Stroud Homes Sunshine Coast for 3DURHAM Montego (Glenview)
- Individual Home from $650,000 up to $750,000 – SKL Projects (AUST) Pty Ltd T/A Lamper Constructions for The Chapman Residence (Maroochydore)
- Individual Home from $750,000 up to $950,000 – Grant McDonald Homes Pty Ltd for Pacific House (Buddina)
- Individual Home from $950,000 up to $1.25 million – Blackhaus Construction Pty Ltd for Karibu House (Buderim)
- Individual Home from $1.25 million up to $2 million – B A Murphy Constructions Pty Ltd for The Coastal Hamptons Beach House (Yaroomba)
- Individual Home over $2 million – Charles Warren Constructions Pty Ltd for Waterfront Home (Sunshine Coast)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project from $275,000 up to $575,000 – Top Plate Building for That Beach Reno (Golden Beach)
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $1 million – Thomas F Roebuck T/A Roebuck Concepts for Grandview (Coolum Beach)
- Display Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 – McDonald Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Brighton Homes Queensland for Juniper 27 (Palmview)
- Display Home from $350,000 up to $450,000 – Homecorp Constructions Pty Ltd for Hamilton Display Home (Palmview)
- Display Home from $450,000 to $550,000 – Platinum Property Group Pty Ltd T/A Platinum Residential Designer Homes for Arlington 35 (Pelican Waters)
- Best Use of Sloping Sites – Murphy Builders Qld Pty Ltd for Bastien Residence (Alexandra Headland)
- Best Use of Steel Frame Housing – McDonald Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Brighton Homes Queensland for Lotus 35 (Palmview)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – 2 to 5 Dwellings – David A Becker T/A Becker Constructions for Duplex - Alexandra Headland (Alexandra Headland)
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – over 5 Dwellings – Platinum Property Group Pty Ltd T/A Platinum Residential Designer Homes for Shelly Dune (Pelican Waters)
- Excellence in Sustainable Living – Overland Design & Construct Pty Ltd for Kin Kin Hempcrete House (Cooroy)
- Best Use of Small Block – QLD BUILT PTY LTD T/A qldBUILT for Signature Terrace (Maroochydore)
- Best Residential Bathroom – G M Coastal Developments Pty Ltd for Ruby 11 (Peregian Springs)
- Best Residential Kitchen – Avalon - Azure 1701 (Maroochydore)
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Blackhaus Construction Pty Ltd for Karibu House (Buderim)
- Rising Star – Jeremy Nudd from Buildmast Constructions Pty Ltd (Buderim)
- Women in Building – Leonie Gotts from Murphy Builders Qld Pty Ltd (Eumundi)
- Residential Trade Contractor of the Year – Oz Set Australia Pty Ltd for Greenwood Project (Buderim)
- Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year – Oz Set Australia Pty Ltd for Gympie RSL (Gympie)
- Alan Eichmann Memorial Award for Quality Workmanship – SKL Projects (AUST) Pty Ltd T/A Lamper Constructions for The Chapman Residence (Maroochydore)
- President's Award – Devcon Building Co Pty Ltd for Tailslide - Beach Build (Bokarina)
- Project of the Year – Mosaic Property Group for Avalon by Mosaic (Maroochydore)
- House of the Year – Pacific House by Grant McDonald Homes Pty Ltd (Buddina)
Melissa Seiler, Communications Advisor at email@example.com
Christine Buzzard, Digital Communications Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Russell, Manager Communications & Media at email@example.com