If you’ve decided to renovate your home, you may be tempted to do-it-yourself (DIY). However, renovations aren’t always as straightforward as they may seem, and ensuring building requirements are met requires knowledge that only a building or trade contractor will have. If you choose to DIY, you need to understand the requirements surrounding approvals and inspections and general building requirements.

Bracing, joists, bearers, fixings, balustrade heights, minimum post sizes, termite protection and timber durability are all covered by the Building Code of Australia. They will be assessed during the approval process of your new renovation. Getting the job done properly the first time around by a licensed builder or trade contractor can save you time and money in the long run. If you engage a builder or tradesperson to do any of the work, valued in excess of $3,300, you must ensure you're using a licensed contractor.

If you plan to undertake domestic building work on your property, valued at $11,000 or more, you'll need to obtain an owner builder permit, under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991.

Building or renovating with a Master Builder

Did you know that Master Builders’ members carry out more than 80 per cent of building work in Queensland?

When you build or renovate with a Master Builder you can have peace-of-mind knowing that your builder or tradesperson is appropriately licensed and has the support of a professional industry association.

Our Find a Master Builder search is a free service that helps you find properly licensed Master Builders.

If you build with a Master Builder, we’re here to help you too, especially in relation to contracts or any disputes that may arise throughout the building process.

Find a Master Builder

Major Sponsors