Services & advice
- Building, planning & development
- Contracts & disputes
- Employment & wages
Health, safety & environment
- WHS self assessment tool
- Common hazards
- Risk management
- Incident management
- Safety documents & signage
- Laws, codes & regulations
- What's on
- News & publications
- Home owners
Policy & advocacy
- Election 2020
- Our platform
- Project Bank Accounts
- Policy submissions
- State Budget 2019-20
- First Home Owners' Boost
- Our members
- Code of conduct
- Organisational structure
- Mandatory reporting
- Policy & advocacy
- Terms & conditions
Poor storage and housekeeping on-site can lead to lacerations, puncture wounds and other injuries caused by slips, trips and falls.
If materials are incorrectly stored on the ground or outside they can get damaged by water ingress or workers stand on the materials and break them.
All of these things are usually a result of poor planning, poor consultation and poor supervision.
Planning and risk assessment
It’s important to uphold high standards when it comes to site cleanliness and material storage. Setting an expected standard is the key to ensuring your site starts clean and remains clean for the duration of the project.
Plan the vacant space on the site before commencement to allow for safe access and egress, waste areas and material storage.
Ensure that everyone on-site:
- Keeps the worksite clean and free of debris
- Uses designated rubbish areas
- Appropriately stores and protects materials.
Good storage and housekeeping practices
- Add clauses to trade contracts stating that each subcontractor is responsible for maintaining a clean site during and after completion of work, and that penalties may apply for non-compliance
- Include housekeeping responsibilities in the standard site rules and inform all workers about them
- Insist on designated delivery and storage areas, delineated walkways and site access (if practical), and weatherproof waste collection areas such as skip bins or meshed cages
- Supervise and monitor sites to ensure poor housekeeping doesn’t become a problem and get out of control.