If someone becomes seriously ill or injured on one of your projects, you may be required to report it to Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ).

Types of incidents 

You need to report any incident that arises out of the conduct of your business, which results in the death, serious injury or serious illness of a person, or involves a dangerous incident.

View definitions of serious injury, serious illness and dangerous incident at Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

When to report an incident

You must notify WHSQ immediately after becoming aware of an incident.

How to report an incident

You can notify WHSQ of an incident by:

Can I keep working after an incident occurs?

You must refrain from disturbing the site of an incident (including any plant, substances or structures associated with the incident) before an inspector arrives.

You're only permitted to disturb the site of an incident:

  • To help an injured person
  • To remove a deceased person
  • If it’s essential for making the site safe
  • If it’s associated with a police investigation
  • If an inspector permits you to.

For more information about reporting incidents, visit Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

Notifying the QBCC of safety matters on building sites

If you are a QBCC licence holder who is in control of a building site, or who is working on a building site, you must notify the QBCC if a ‘safety matter” occurs during the course of work.

What is a notifiable “safety matter”?

You must notify the QBCC if:

  • A death or serious injury or illness of a person occurs; or
  • An incident that exposes a person to a risk of serious injury or illness occurs (for example, a partial building collapse or a rollover of plant, regardless of whether a person was injured);
  • If you're aware that someone hasn't complied with a notice or injunction given by Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) or the Electrical Safety Office (ESO).

What's the process for notification?

The QBCC must be notified in the fastest possible way by telephone or in writing (which can be via email or other electronic means). You can notify the QBCC quickly and easily using their notification form. If the matter is urgent you can call the QBCC on 139 333. You will need to provide the following information:

  • Time of the event
  • Date of the event
  • Place of the event
  • Was the site under the control of the licensee?
  • Who was injured or who breached the WH&S ES order?
  • If there was an injury was medical assistance called/is anyone hospitalised?
  • Do they know why the event occurred?

Do I still need to notify WHSQ or ESO?

Yes, you must still notify WHSQ or the ESO separately if a safety incident occurs. There are different laws, processes and forms that relate to the notification of incidents to WHSQ and ESO.

Major Sponsors