- Services & advice
- Why study with Master Builders
- Complaints & Appeals Policy
- Credit transfer & RPL
- Entry requirements
- Fees, charges & refunds
- Unique Student Identifier
- Student Handbook
- Mandatory Privacy Information for Students
- Skills assessment
- Audit reports
- Master Builders scholarship program
- What's on
- News & publications
- Policy & advocacy
- Code of Conduct
- Organisational structure
- Mandatory reporting
- Terms & conditions
Since 1 January 2015, everyone who undertakes nationally recognised training delivered by a Registered Training Organisation needs to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number made up of numbers and letters that gives students access to their USI account.
A USI will allow an individual's USI account to be linked to the National Vocational Education and Training (VET) Data Collection, allowing an individual to see all of their training results from all providers, including all completed training units and qualifications from 1 January 2015 onwards. This USI will stay with the student for life and be recorded with any nationally recognised VET course that is undertaken from when the USI comes into effect.
(Please note this legislative change applies to all RTO’s for recording Nationally Recognised Training only).
A USI account will make it easier for students to find, collate and authenticate their VET achievements into a single transcript. It will also ensure that students' VET records are not lost. Your USI account is free and easy to set up online, and we can even help you out if you need it.
For more information, or to apply, visit the Australian Government Department of Industry website.
Unique Student Identifier Privacy Notice
The personal information about you that you provide to the Registrar, including your identity information, is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 Cth (Privacy Act). The collection, use and disclosure of your USI are protected by the SI Act.
The personal information you provide to the Registrar in connection with your application for a USI:
- Is collected by the Registrar for the purposes of:
- Applying for, verifying and giving a USI
- Resolving problems with a USI and
- Creating authenticated vocational education and training (VET) transcripts.
- May be disclosed to:
- Commonwealth and State/Territory government departments and agencies and statutory bodies.
- Performing functions relating to VET for:
- The purposes of administering and auditing Vocational Education and Training (VET), VET providers and VET programs
- Education-related policy and research purposes and
- To assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies.
- VET Regulators to enable them to perform their VET regulatory functions
- VET Admission bodies for the purposes of administering VET and VET programs
- Current and former Registered Training Organisations to enable them to deliver VET courses to the individual, meet their reporting obligations under the VET standards and government contracts and assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies
- Schools for the purposes of delivering VET courses to the individual and reporting on these courses
- The National Centre for Vocational Education Research for the purpose of creating authenticated VET transcripts, resolving problems with USIs and for the collection, preparation and auditing of national VET statistics
- Researchers for education and training-related research purposes
- Any other person or agency that may be authorised or required by law to access the information
- Any entity contractually engaged by the Student Identifiers Registrar to assist in the performance of his or her functions in the administration of the USI system.
- Will not otherwise be disclosed without your consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
For further information on the USI privacy policies and complaints visit www.usi.gov.au